Monday, February 7, 2011

Sauteed Kale

I have a new love affair.

It's with kale.

Not just any version of kale, but with sauteed kale.

A few weeks ago I churned out some Kale Chips, but unfortunately, I wasn't a huge fan. I ended up trying sauteed kale at the suggestion of my roommate. She said I should try sauteing the kale with some onions and garlic. At first I wasn't really on board with the idea, but I still had some leftover kale and I hate throwing away food, so why not?

Besides, who doesn't love onions and garlic? (I know.... I'm disgusting!)

And the rest was history, as they say.

Sauteed Kale
slightly adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen's Sauteed Kale with Garlic and Onion recipe
makes 6-8 servings
  • ~1 lb kale, washed and chopped roughly
  • 2 large onions, halved and sliced (you can use less, but I like onions)
  • 2-3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 - 1 1/2 cups water
  • salt to taste
  • 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar (you can use whichever kind of vinegar you like)
1) In a large pan, saute the onions over medium heat in the olive oil until they are softened, ~10 minutes. You can saute the onions for a longer time period if you want them to be softer.

2) Stir in the garlic. Allow the garlic to simmer with the onions for 2-3 minutes.

3) Add the kale and stir to incorporate as best as possible. Cover the kale until it turns bright green, ~3-5 minutes.

4) Stir the kale, add 1/2 cup water to the pan, and re-cover. Let the kale steam for ~ 5 minutes.

5) Uncover the pan and let the water evaporate. This may take a few minutes.

6) Repeat Steps 4 & 5. The kale should be wilted by now. If not, repeat Steps 4 & 5 once again.

7) Stir in the salt and vinegar. Serve hot or warm.

The kale is a hearty, but slightly bitter green, which is counterbalanced by the sweetness of the onions. And the last minute addition of salt and vinegar gives this side dish just a little kick. This is my new go-to, quick and easy addition to lunch or dinner. Or maybe even a snack in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment