Sunday, March 20, 2011

Tomatillo Salsa

This is one of my favorite. salsas. ever.

Not only is it green (I like the color green), but it's also tangy and spicy and perfect over a piece of grilled chicken or eaten on it's own with a tortilla chip.

I was first introduced to this little gem when I visited my friend, Matt, in Austin, TX a while ago. He pulled out a batch of this stuff and I knew I needed the recipe.

Except that he doesn't really use recipes. But he was able to give me some guidelines and recommendations so I could run with it. Here ya go!


Tomatillo Salsa
from my friend Matt

Print Recipe

  • ~12 tomatillos, chopped
  • ~10 jalapenos, chopped*
  • ~4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • dash salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 bunch fresh cilantro
  • 1/3 cup vinegar
1) Add all items into a blender until creamy.**

2) Pour the salsa into a saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.


3) Let the salsa cool, then use as desired!


*You can add more or less, depending on how spicy you like it. I'd probably start out with ~6 jalapenos if you're not sure. Don't worry. The heat really mellows out when you simmer the salsa.


** The blender chose this precise moment to crap out on me. Thus I ended up using my immersion blender to make this salsa happen. Still worked out perfectly!

I've heard of variations in which roasted tomatillos have been used for the salsa. I haven't tried this yet because it will increase the time it takes for this salsa to get into my mouth. But you let me know how it tastes if you do roast those tomatillos.

I've got the perfect plan for this salsa...Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment