Sunday, April 10, 2011

Creamy Dijon Chicken


Let me preface this post with the fact that I am not a mustard lover. In fact, I don't think I've even blogged about mustard in the 2 years of this blog's existence. Really, the only condiments I like are ketchup, BBQ sauce, and any form of hot sauce. I have limits, ya know.

But when I saw how easy and beautiful this chicken dish looked on the Simply Delicious blog, I completely forgot about my aversion to mustard. What can I say? I'm a sucker for a pretty picture.

Conveniently enough, my mom is a huge mustard lover, and is therefore quite ready to recreate this recipe as soon as it's posted. And I need to be on her good side right about now, so I can get lots of home-cooked food when I head back to the Bahamas later this month. Life's a trade off sometimes.

Creamy Dijon Chicken
slightly adapted from the Simply Delicious blog

Print Recipe
  • 4 large skinless & de-boned chicken breasts
  • olive oil
  • 3 small-medium leeks or 2 large leeks, finely sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 - 1 1/2 cup cream
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • dash of chili flakes (optional)
1) Drizzle a few teaspoons of olive oil to a pan over medium heat.

2) Once the oil is heated through, add the chicken to the pan and saute until mostly cooked through.

3) Remove chicken from pan and set aside to rest while you create the sauce. Do not throw out the oil in the pan!

4) Add the leeks and garlic to the pan and saute for about 5 minutes or until the leeks are softened.

5) Add the cream, mustards, and lemon juice to the pan. Stir so the cream doesn't develop a skin.

6) Allow the sauce to reduce for a few minutes.

7) Meanwhile, cut the chicken into cubes. (Note: This step is not necessary. I just preferred cutting up the chicken so it cooks evenly, but you can leave the chicken as-is if you like.)

8) Place the chicken back into the reduced sauce. Stir to coat the chicken with the sauce. This will also finish the cooking process for the chicken.

9) Season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes to taste. Serve warm.

I think my favorite part of the dish is the leeks. The leeks were softened during the cooking process, but there's still a little crunch there that I like. The sauce was tangy and creamy but not overly heavy. Maybe because of the lemon juice? I'm not a real chef so I have no idea. But I know it tastes good! I served my chicken up with a side of rice and the two went really well together, but you could also try serving it over some pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment