Friday, September 9, 2011

Asian Wasabi Noodle Salad




Sometimes I crave vegetables.  I know. That's weird.

Sometimes I also crave soy sauce.  Am I freaking you out yet?

I was trying to figure out how I could satisfy these cravings when I realized I had some wasabi fettuccine in the cupboard just begging to be used.  Thus, the seed was planted to create an Asian noodle salad.

Yeah, I have wasabi fettuccine hanging out in my kitchen.  What?  You don't?  No worries, just use regular pasta and stay the course...


Asian Wasabi Noodle Salad
yields 4-6 servings

Print Recipe 
  • ~1/2 lb wasabi fettuccine
  • 2 small broccoli heads, chopped
  • 3-4 small/medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
  • 1 medium red pepper, cut into matchsticks
  • 1/4 cup sliced scallions
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon habanero sauce (or chili sauce)
  • 1 garlic clove, chopped



1) Add the pasta to a pot of boiling water.


2) When the pasta has about 3 minutes left, add the broccoli to the pot.


3) With about 1 minute left, add the carrot and pepper to the pot just to blanch them.


 4) Strain the pasta and vegetables in a colander and add to a bowl.


5) Toss in the scallions, soy sauce, rice vinegar, olive oil, habanero sauce, and chopped garlic.

6) Serve warm or at room temperature.


One of the things I really like about this recipe is that it's super quick and convenient.  By "quick", I just mean that you can whip the meal up in a timely fashion.  If you have killer knife skills, you will definitely make this dish more quickly than I did.  By "convenient", I mean that you only have to wash one pot when all is said and done.  I can get behind that one.



Let's talk about taste.  Phenom.  The carrots, peppers, and soy sauce all combine to form a beautiful salty and sweet combination.  You know I love a good salty/sweet combo.  The vegetables gave the salad a crispy crunchiness (Yes, that's a phrase. I just made it up.) and the Asian flavors were pretty prominent.  I definitely got my vegetable and soy sauce fix.  One thing I was disappointed about was the wasabi pasta.  I didn't exactly get any wasabi flavor from the pasta itself.  All of the heat seemed to come from the habanero sauce I added, but in the end this didn't hurt the taste at all.  Next time I think I'm going to up the ante and also add some edamame to this mix.  Because that would just be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment