Monday, October 17, 2011

Fresh Corn and Goat Cheese Polenta


For as much as I've been pretending it's still summer, I really do love fall.  And I will have more fall-related recipes on this blog soon.  But I think I've finally satiated my summer corn fixation with one final final final corn recipe.  I've been saving this one for a few weeks.  It's not because I'm selfish, but because I simply haven't had the time to get around to it.  So now here it is.  Hopefully this recipe isn't too late to catch the last ears of fresh corn at the market or store.

When I made that Chili-Corn Casserole the other day, I found that I still had a lot of polenta left over.  I decided I would use the rest of it in a variation of a Joy the Baker recipe.  And I would definitely recommend this fresh corn and goat cheese polenta action for a quick breakfast or brunch situation.  


Fresh Corn and Goat Cheese Polenta
adapted from Joy the Baker's Fresh Corn and Goat Cheese Grits recipe
yields 4-5 cups

Print Recipe
  • 1 ear of corn, kernels cut off
  • 1/2 small onion, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 18 oz tube precooked polenta, chopped as finely as possible
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup 2% milk (or whichever kind of milk you prefer)
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Paprika and/or cayenne pepper (optional)



1) Drizzle the olive oil in a saucepan and saute the onion for 1-2 minutes.


2) Add the corn and garlic to the pan.  Saute for another 1-2 minutes, or until softened.


3) Season with salt and pepper to taste.

4) Meanwhile, combine the polenta, butter and milk in a microwave-safe bowl.  Microwave the mixture for a minute at a time, mashing the polenta and milk together periodically to make it creamy.  (You can also do this step in a pot over medium heat on the stove, but it's quicker in a microwave.)


5) Stir the corn and onion mixture into the polenta mixture.


6) Add the crumbled goat cheese.  Season with salt and pepper to taste

7) Sprinkle a dash of paprika and/or cayenne pepper to taste.

I think this dish could have been amped up by using creamy polenta that was made from scratch instead of the pre-made polenta.  But if you're in a pinch, or if you just have leftover pre-made polenta, then you can make this instead.  The creamy, tart goat cheese melts into the butter polenta and provides the perfect complement to the sweet corn.  This dish would be a great addition to any meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment