Monday, November 7, 2011

Spekuloos Cookies



Who doesn't love some gingerbread? It's getting closer to the holidays now and even though Christmas decorations are popping up like wildfire, I'm trying to take it slow.  I want to ease into the holiday season.  

Just let me have this moment and a spekuloos cookie, please.

Yes, the spicy spekuloos cookie.  Tastes like gingerbread, ya know.  I like gingerbread.  This works.

And since I had spekuloos laying around (as we ALL should), I threw it in some batter and whipped up a few treats for no reason at all.  I see no problem with this.

Spekuloos Cookies
makes ~60 cookies*

Print Recipe
  • 1 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup spekuloos
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1) Cream together the butter, spekuloos, and sugars.

2) Add the eggs, beating well after adding each egg.


3) In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. 

4) Stir into batter, then put the batter in the refrigerator for 1 hour. 


5) Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place on baking sheets. Flatten each ball with a fork, making a criss-cross pattern.


6) Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F oven for 8-10 minutes or until cookies begin to brown.  Let cool for several minutes before removing from the tray.

* The original recipe for this says that this batter yields 24 cookies.  I got much more than that, so I'm not sure what the deal was there.  Just be aware that you may get a lot more cookies than you bargain for.

My cookies sort of flattened out and didn't hold the criss-cross pattern very well.  I think the butter in the batter didn't chill as much as it should have, which lead the cookies to spread in the oven.  In spite of this, the cookies were pretty tasty.  Since they were thin, they were a little crunchy but I don't mind that at all.  Just because a cookie isn't chewy doesn't mean we throw it away.  Work with it, people.  The cookies ended up being a cross between a sugar and a gingerbread cookie.  This equals perfect yummy-ness.

No comments:

Post a Comment