Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Sabrina's Cafe: A Review



I apologize for my absence the last week or so. You see, I've been busy. I live in Hoboken and we sort of got hit pretty hard with the hurricane and storm surges. So yes, my apologies.

And now I'm back. I'm back with the review that I promised you about a week ago. There's this place in Philadelphia called Sabrina's Cafe. It's off the beaten path, but you wouldn't be able to tell that from the amount of people standing outside waiting.


The menu is extensive and the brunch specials change every few weeks. 



Note the Halloween inspired menu selections.

Our friend called ahead and we ended up having only a 20 minute wait
instead of an hour's wait.  Sweet!

Cute decor outside. They were ready for Halloween!

 Inside, the decor is quaint and homey. I love their sign "Stay and Gossip". (I'm pretty sure 
they don't mean that, what with the wait outside.)

When we sat down, our server asked us if we wanted coffee, which of course we did. 
Little did we know that we would get our coffee in random and hilarious mugs. 
One friend received the coveted "Grandma" mug.

My married friend got a mug that said "Did you hug your wife today?". 
Apparently the server said he has to be careful who he gives that particular mug to,
 in case there's a long-term girlfriend situation going on there.

I received the S.I.S. mug.  I do have a sister, so that's pretty accurate.

A wider shot of the decor.  Love it.

Something that I was not aware of was the huge huge portions that they serve there. 
As the food came out to diners nearby, I realized what I would be in for. 
Some of these meals were the size of my head!

 
I ordered a customized omelette with provolone, sausage, and avocado.
I ordered bacon on the side, as per usual. I also ordered the hash browns and the 
sweet potato cornbread biscuit, which happened to be a part of another special.

Huevos Rancheros
The Mexorcist (see menu above)

Stuffed Caramelized Challah French Toast.
This was completely deliciously stuffed with cream cheese filling.  It was also ginormous!
See that pint glass of orange juice in the background? Standing up, this half of the 
french toast was almost as tall as the glass!

The Army of Darkness MRE sandwich
Again, this was huge!

Two men with gigantic appetites tried to finish the plate but they were
finally taken down by this thing.

My overall rating of this place is "Excellent". I now understand why there is at least an hour's wait for brunch on the weekend. The service was great, the food was delicious, and the decor was beautiful. This is a definite recommendation. I can't wait to go back and try some of the other items on their menu.  Make sure you show up with an empty stomach!

No comments:

Post a Comment