Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Baked Bacon



It's been a real long two weeks for me, folks.  I was super busy at work last week, then I took a trip to Nashville this weekend (amazing! more about this in another post...), and I just got back to the office today only to be greeted by a long list of things to do.  Fair enough.  I was on vacation for the past 6 days.  But I don't have to like it.

What I'm really trying to say here is that this will be a quick post.  BUT I believe it will be quite informative.  I have been talking about baked bacon for a while now.  It's super simple to make, you don't have to stand over a hot stove, and finally, most importantly, you now don't have to worry about being spattered with sizzling hot bacon grease.  Personally, I love that this bacon cooks up flat.  It's probably the perfectionist in me, but I really dislike when bacon gets folded over or super curly in the frying pan.  I think it cooks unevenly and I always get stuck with that bacon strip that is super crispy on one side and oily and flabby on the other side.  No bueno.

Anyhow, enough about my little quirks.  I just want you to know that I lied above.  The absolutely, best and most important (in italics and bold font!) part of baking bacon is that you don't have to clean up after yourself.  Well, you do, but it only involves crumpling up the foil that the bacon is cooked on and throwing it away.  This appeals to the lazy person inside me.  Just do it.

Baked Bacon


  • bacon strips, as many as desired
  • foil
  • rimmed baking sheet

1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

2) Cover the baking sheet with the foil.  Make sure the rimmed edges have coverage as well.
 

3) Lay the bacon strips on the baking sheet.  The strips can be close to each other, but make sure they are not overlapping.

4) Bake in the oven for 8-12 minutes.  I like my bacon extra crispy so I let it bake for closer to 12 minutes.  Note - The more bacon you use, the longer you may need to bake it.

5) Allow the bacon to cool for a few minutes.  Use tongs to transfer the bacon strips to a plate covered with paper towels so the extra grease drains off.

1 comment:

  1. I like this method of cooking bacon by the strip. I use the metal rack that fits inside the baking sheet.Spray the rack first of course. I don't use aluminum foil for anything cause I am not fond of the idea of getting dementia from the aluminum that leaches into the food. I save my bacon fat to cook with too. The rack & pan just go nicely into the dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete