Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Pina Colada Cupcakes

I've been away from my poor blog for too long! But I'm back just in time for Cinco de Mayo!

A few weeks ago I ventured into the new Hoboken 7-Eleven store. I headed straight to the back of the store for a Slurpee. As I was reaching for my favorite flavor (Cherry) I caught a glimpse of another flavor: Pina Colada. What was this? Is this new? Considering I haven't had a Slurpee in years, I had no idea if it was a new flavor or not. But I did know that I needed to try it. And it was delicious. Could I make this into a cupcake? Why not...

Pina Colada Cupcakes
(adapted from Wilton Pineapple Cupcakes recipe)
makes ~24 cupcakes

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup coconut milk
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon coconut extract
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
1) Preheat oven to 325°F.

2) In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.

3) In separate bowl, whisk together oil, coconut milk, eggs and coconut extract.

4) Stir in sugar.

5) Add flour mixture and mix well.


6) Fold in crushed pineapple.

7) Pour batter into cupcake liners until about 3/4 full.

8) Bake ~17 minutes. (I rotated my cupcake tins about halfway through the baking, so that they would cook more evenly.)

Pina Colada Frosting
(adapted from Gale Gand's Quick Vanilla Frosting recipe)

  • 3 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 cup butter, at room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons coconut extract
  • 2.5 tablespoons pineapple rum
  • 1 tablespoon milk (the real recipe calls for whipping cream, but I didn't have any)
1) In a standing mixer, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
2) Add coconut extract, rum, and milk. Continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more.
3) Frost cooled cupcakes.

I thought the cupcakes were very moist. This is probably due to the use of oil and crushed pineapples in the batter. I couldn't use the toothpick method to tell when the cupcakes were done, but a cupcake sprung (spring, sprang, sprung?) back when I pressed gently on it. So ta-da! They were done.

I really liked the flavor combination of the coconut and pineapple, but alas, the flavor as a whole did not really represent a pina colada. Back to the drawing board I guess. Maybe I need to use pineapple extract as well next time?

The crushed pineapple was sweet and could be detected in the cupcake. Although I described the cupcake as quite moist, I didn't say it was bad! Very, very unfortunately, the pineapple rum really didn't play a leading role in the frosting. On the bright side, the frosting itself was amazing. It is seriously my new most favorite-est frosting ever. The coconut rum was prominent, and the texture was as smooth as silk. (Hint: Make sure to add the confectioner's sugar slowly to the butter when making the frosting. This will give you a really smooth and light frosting.) I could eat this frosting on its own. And I may have tested a spoonful or two of the extra frosting once I was done with the cupcakes. Just maybe.

Another successful cupcake. (Hey, let me toot my own horn once in a while since I do have cupcake flops sometimes.) I force fed them to my roommate and her family this past weekend and they didn't seem to mind at all, which was awesome of them!

So let's raise a glass, or a cupcake, to Cinco de Mayo. These may not be margaritas, margarita cupcakes, or anything remotely Mexican, but we can still celebrate as if they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment