Sunday, December 5, 2010

Spicy Asian Chicken Noodle Soup

I love ramen. Yep, I said it. I love ramen. I know it's "uncool" and it only costs about 35 cents per package, but there's something about those noodles that is so comforting. I hardly ever make pre-packaged ramen anymore and I think it's this blog's fault. I'm too busy making other dishes!. Well, now I'm bringing ramen back...

I actually had a few leftover ramen packages in the cupboard and I wanted to make sure I used them up. Those expiration dates really creep up on you quickly. I also wanted to get my chicken fix for that half marathon that I'm not training for anymore, thanks potential stress fractures in my left leg. Thanks, thanks a lot.

One recipe that I had bookmarked to try was Joelen's Spicy Asian Chicken Noodle Soup. Since the days and nights are getting colder, chicken noodle soup would be the perfect thing to warm me up.

Spicy Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
slightly adapted from Joelen's Culinary Adventures
  • 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
  • 1 tbsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tbsp habanero sauce
  • 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
  • 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 3-1/2 (3 ounce) packages of dried ramen noodles
  • 3 scallions, sliced thinly
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, minced
1) Combine the broth, soy sauce, sugar, ginger, and habanero sauce together in a large pot. Bring the broth mixture to a boil.

2) Add the chicken to the pot and simmer, covered, over medium-low heat until the chicken is cooked all the way through. This will take only a few minutes so don't walk away!

3) Discard the ramen noodles' seasoning packets. Place the ramen noodles in the broth and stir . The noodles will be done in a minute or two.

4) Stir in the scallions and cilantro before serving in bowls.


This was one of the easiest recipes I've ever thrown together. I'm pretty sure it took me less than 30 minutes from start to finish. AND I was taking pictures along the way. To me, this soup actually tasted like it was straight from one of those ramen noodle containers. Now I don't know if you consider this to be a good thing or a bad thing, but I'm a fan. Judge all you want.

One problem I ran into was that I didn't have enough broth. Next time I think I'll have to either use another cup or two of broth and then adjust the seasonings accordingly, or decrease the amount of ramen noodles and chicken that I'm using. The original recipe doesn't call for the amount of noodles and chicken that I used in the recipe above, but I didn't want to have an extra chicken breast and a half bag of ramen noodles left over. I'll have to update this post with my changes when I make it again. It may be a while though. This cold weather has me itching to make more soups and I've already got a few new recipes in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment