Thursday, April 7, 2011

Giant Chocolate Toffee Cookies

Who am I kidding? The real reason I blogged about roasted tomatoes is to make up for this post.

Giant. Chocolate. Toffee. Cookies.

Remember that dance reunion I was talking about a while ago? Well, I also brought these along with me. My favorite comment was that these cookies should be called "brookies" because they seem to be a cross between brownies and cookies. I thought that was innovative. And quite true since the cookies did have a dense, brownie-like consistency.

And chocolate. Lots of melted chocolate was harmed in the making of these brownies. And here comes the kicker. Heath bar toffee pieces. Can you believe that? I need a moment.

I love Heath bars. To be honest, it's really what pushed me to make these cookies. Toffee just makes everything better. Ever.


Giant Chocolate Toffee Cookies
recipe from Epicurious.com
makes 16-18 cookies

Print Recipe
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 16 oz bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped (I used 4 oz bittersweet & 12 oz semisweet chocolate)
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1 3/4 cups (packed) brown sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 5 1.4-ounce chocolate-covered Heath bars (or a similar toffee candy bar), coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped (optional)

1) Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.

2) Stir the chocolate and butter in a heat-proof bowl over a pot of simmering water (this would be a double boiler). Stir until the mixture is melted and smooth.

3) Remove from over the water and allow the mixture to cool until it is lukewarm.
4) Using a mixer, beat the sugar and eggs together for about 5 minutes, or until thick.
5) Add the melted chocolate mixture and the vanilla.
6) Stir in the dry ingredients, then the toffee and nuts. (I chose not to use nuts in my cookies.)
7) Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
8) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
9) Line baking sheets with parchment or waxed paper. Drop 1/4 of the batter onto the sheets, spacing each cookie about 2 1/2 inches apart. (Yes, these cookies are massive! This recipe writer was not messing around!)
10) Bake just until tops are dry and cracked but cookies are still soft to touch, about 15 minutes.
11) Cool the cookies on the baking sheets. These cookies can be made a day or two ahead. If you need to store them, make sure to place them in an airtight container at room temperature.

3 comments:

  1. Yummo - my family loved these cookies! Hop on over to my Secret Recipe Club post about them!

    :)
    ButterYum

    http://butteryum.blogspot.com/2012/02/giant-chocolate-toffee-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't even made these yet and my mouth is watering. Thanks for the extra pounds. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I'm glad you like these. They are amazing! I made them but took as much as I could to friends and coworkers so I wouldn't have to stare at them too long :)

    ReplyDelete