Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Goat Cheese Frozen Yogurt

My taste buds are funky.  They make me crave things at the oddest time.

Like that time when I wanted to eat some goat cheese but the only cracker-like objects I had in the kitchen were pretzels.  Then I started craving goat cheese and pretzels.  Because it's actually a pretty good combo.



More recently I've been craving frozen yogurt.  Our neighborhood grocery store just opened up a frozen yogurt/coffee bar and it's absolutely amazing.  I walk to the grocery store at all hours.  I drive to the grocery store at all hours.  I went there at 7am one morning to get some frozen yoguyt on my drive in to work that day.  It turns out you cannot get frozen yogurt there at 7am, even though the they claim to be open then.  That was a sad day.

So imagine my excitement when one of my favorite bloggers, Julia, busted out with a goat cheese frozen yogurt recipe.  I knew I had to try this as soon as possible.  Yes, of course I waited until it was fall to test this recipe out.  You wouldn't think I'd do it during the summer, did you?

Goat Cheese Frozen Yogurt
slightly altered from the Fat Girl in a Skinny Body blog
makes 3-4 cups

  • 14 ounces 2% Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 ounces goat cheese, softened
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch

1) Combine all ingredients in the blender and mix until fully incorporated.

2) Pour the mixture into a sealed, freezer-safe container.  Refrigerate for 1 hour.

3) Place the container in the freezer for about 7 hours.  The amount of time you will need to freeze the yogurt depends on how cold your freezer gets.  Also, it depends on how soft or hard you like your yogurt.  You can experiment with the firmness of the frozen yogurt and see what you like best.

* One of the things Julia recommended was stirring the frozen yogurt about halfway through the freezing process.  I did this as well, but like Julia said, she wasn't sure if this actually made a difference or not.  The frozen yogurt still came out fine!


What can I say?  I loved this.  The frozen yogurt was tangy from the goat cheese, and sweet and creamy from the yogurt.  To break it down, this mostly tastes like frozen Greek yogurt with sweetened goat cheese.  I know that should be pretty apparent from the ingredient list, but I was still surprised for some reason.  Surprised in a good way though.  In a good, stuff-your-mouth-full-of-goat-cheese-frozen-yogurt way.

No comments:

Post a Comment