Monday, November 28, 2011

Roasted Apples

 

I have a great idea.

My mom came to visit me a few weeks ago and we went apple-picking.  She went a little overboard, as this was her first apple-picking experience.  15lbs of apples later, this was quite apparent.  And then Mom left the next day to head back to The Bahamas, sans apples.

This got me thinking.

You know how apple pie recipes always call for "cups" of apples?  Well, how am I supposed to know how many apples will yield 6 cups? This inevitably leads to that moment in the grocery store when I hog the spot in front of the Granny Smith apples while trying to figure out how many apples equal 6 cups.  Awkward.  Then there's always at least an apple or two left over that I have to deal with.

So here's my great idea.  Why not roast those extra apples up and treat yourself to a fresh, homemade apple pie without the crust?  Some people say the crust is the best part (and I concur), but sometimes you just do what you gotta do.



Roasted Apples
from Joy the Baker
makes ~4 servings

Print Recipe
  • 4 Stayman Winesap apples (really, you can use any apples that suit your fancy)
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • pinch ground allspice
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into small cubes

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

2) Peel, core, and slice apples.

3) Place apples on a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.

4) Sprinkle the apples with lemon juice.  Then sprinkle them with brown sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch, allspice, and salt.

5) Use your hands to combine all the ingredients.

6) Place the cubes of butter on top of the apples.

7) Bake for 15-25 minutes, or until the apples are the desired consistency.

8) Allow the apples to cool slightly, then serve as you wish.

These apples are pretty versatile.  Joy The Baker used them as an extravagant topping for ice cream.  I prefer to eat them as-is.  You can also add them to other food items for some extra cinnamon-y, gooey sweetness. I like to think of this as a "nutritional food" and I'm sure it counts toward my daily vitamin requirement.  I mean, these apples ARE still fruit, right?  Even though I drowned them in butter and sugar.  Nothing wrong with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment