Sunday, November 18, 2012

Apple Grilled Cheese



What do you do when you're stuck indoors in 50 degree weather and with no power?  You make quick and easy comfort meals.  And who would blame me if those meals happen to include bread, melted cheese, and apples?

Hey, I need to get my daily serving of fruit from somewhere, right?

Truth be told, I was attempting to channel Jessica's Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese which looks so so scrumptious.  However, since my internet options were severely limited and I also didn't have a source of power with which to charge my phone or tablet, I decided to just wing this recipe.  Apparently, that meant I missed an in-your-face key ingredient that may also be a part of the recipe name: caramel.  I have a jar of salted caramel just begging to be dipped into.  So yeah.  That may have been a slight fail on my part, but I think we can overlook that.  What really matters is that this sandwich made for an awesome and comforting lunch.  It was super simple to assemble and in no time I was sitting down to enjoy it.


Apple Grilled Cheese
inspired by How Sweet It Is
makes 1 sandwich

Print Recipe
  • 2 slices bread, any kind you like
  • 3-4 slices Parmesan cheese, sliced thinly
  • 1/2 apple, sliced thinly
  • butter, softened

1) Lay the slices of apples and cheese on one of the bread slices.


2) Close the sandwich and spread the butter on each of the exposed sides of bread.

3) Place a saucepan over medium heat and lay the sandwich in the pan.

4) Grill the sandwich until golden brown on one side.


5) Flip the sandwich over.  Grill the other side until golden brown as well.

6) Serve warm and sliced, if desired.

OK, I confess that I possibly slightly burned the bread on one side.  Just maybe.  But I realized after the fact, that I like it like that.  The bread turned super crunchy and reminded me of when you tear into a fresh baguette and the crust flakes everywhere.  I used Parmesan cheese because I had some on hand and wanted to use it up.  The melted cheese had a nutty flavor and complemented the softened, sweet apple.  This sandwich will be "on repeat" in my kitchen and maybe I'll even throw in that caramel next time.

2 comments: