Sunday, February 17, 2013

Pecan Pie


I've been away from the blog for a few days.  I had another foot surgery y'all (on the other foot), so unfortunately I've been out of commission since Thursday.  But what can you do, other than pop some pills and move it along?

Let's talk about this pecan pie and how I've loved/hated it for the past few months.  I have a deep-seeded love of pecan pie.  This love developed over the past few years and every year I just can't wait for fall weather, pumpkin spice coffee (preferably from Dunkin Donuts, but I can't totally diss Starbucks) and pecan pies to roll around.

However, I somehow got sidetracked this past year.  In the madness that was Thanksgiving and Christmas and pretty much every day in between, I was unable to secure myself even one (one!) slice of pecan pie.  When 2013 rolled around, I refused to believe that things had gone down like that.  Nope.  I would make myself an entire pecan pie to share with friends....aka not share with friends and eat all by myself.  Possibly.

Probably.
 

Pecan Pie

  • 9-inch frozen pie crust, thawed slightly
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 3 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups pecans (1 cup chopped and 1 cup whole)


1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2) In a large bowl, combine the corn syrup, brown sugar, eggs, butter, salt, and vanilla.  Mix together until blended well.
 

3) Stir in the pecans.
 

4) Pour the mixture into the crust.

5) Tent the crust with aluminum foil, then bake the pie for 50 minutes.

6) Remove the foil and bake an additional 10-15 minutes.  The pie will be done when you tap the center of the pie lightly and it springs back.


The most surprising discovery about this pie is how easy it was to whip together.  It took me no longer than 10 minutes to measure everything out and mix it together in a bowl.  I know that sounds like a long time for this recipe, but let's be honest, I'm taking pictures too.  You don't even want to know what all that involves.  It's frightening.

Anywayyyyys....omg this tastes like a pecan pie!  I know that's what I made, but for some reason I was blown away by this fact and especially by the fact that it came out of my oven.  Whaaaa? I may also have been giddy with excitement because of the amount of sugar in this thing, but I'm not thinking about that.


No comments:

Post a Comment