Friday, March 8, 2013

Spinach Bacon Blue Cheese Quiche


Ya'll.  I was back to work this week.  Let me tell you that I am not a happy camper.  I forgot how much I liked doing nothing.

Actually, that's not true.  I didn't forget how much I liked doing nothing.  That's the real problem, for sure.  But I have to be a grown up now and get back to being a productive legal alien in this country.  Nothing I can do about it....other than get married to an attractive and insanely rich man and become a kept lady.  Yes.  That is my future plan.  But until that happens, I will re-learn how to maximize my time.  I figured it would be best to start off with a quick and dirty quiche recipe.

OK, it's not really dirty.  Because that would be a bad thing.  Anything food-related that is dirty is most decidedly a bad thing.  Peep that.

Where is this language coming from?  I must be tired.  Ugh.  Here's the recipe.  Let's just do this!


Spinach Bacon Blue Cheese Quiche
slightly adapted from La Phemme Foodie


  • 1 deep dish pre-made pie crust
  • 8 slices bacon, cooked and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
  • 3 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 8 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained

Blind bake the pie crust:

1) Use a fork to prick the bottom and sides of the pie crust.


2) Bake at 425 degrees F for 5 minutes.

3) Remove from the oven and cool for a few minutes.  If the pie crust bubbled up slightly, just press it down gently.

Assemble the quiche:

1) Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F.

2) Scatter the bacon pieces over the bottom of the pie crust.
 

3) Sprinkle the cheese crumbles evenly over the bacon.
 

4) In a medium-sized bowl, use a fork to together the eggs, milk, spinach and spices. Stir well to combine.
 

5) Pour the egg mixture evenly over the ingredients in the pie crust.

6) Bake the quiche for 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

7) Let the quiche cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing into it.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

You should already know how much I love quiches.  They are versatile for any meal and they can be packed with vegetables, protein, and cheese (of course!).  This quiche was no different and it did not disappoint.

I absolutely loved the melted blue cheese.  The flavor was quite pronounced and the texture was super creamy.  If you don't like blue cheese, this may not be the tart for you.  I'll take your slice, thanks.  And don't forget about the bacon and the spinach.  Everything's better with bacon.  And the spinach makes you feel as if you're getting your daily serving of vegetables.  I mean, you are making a dent in that pyramid structure, so that's got to count for something.  Don't sleep on this quiche.  In fact, go make it right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment