Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Five Layer Taco Dip



I've been eating a little like crap lately.  I'm currently snacking on some Talenti Sea Salt Caramel gelato.  I recently (as in about 5 minutes ago) housed a small bag of popcorn for dinner.  And not long before that, it's possible that I may have eaten 3/4 of an entire monkey bread appetizer, which was probably meant to serve 4 people comfortably.  And yet...

So it may come as no surprise to you that I'm also lovin' all up on some Five Layer Taco Dip.  You knew that was coming, didn't you?  I have little shame by now.


I made this dip for my housewarming party a few weeks ago and I really enjoyed it.  So of course I recreated it for myself.  Hey, sometimes it's OK to be a little selfish.  Especially when it involves fresh avocado, corn, and cheese!

Interesting facts (because you care): I used to really dislike black beans, but I'm starting to come around.  I'm not completely on the bandwagon yet, but I'm thinking to incorporate them more into my dishes - especially Mexican-inspired dishes!  Also, this is the first dish I've ever made with black beans!  Look into the archives.  I challenge you to find a black bean recipe in there.



Five Layer Taco Dip
very slightly adapted from Ellie Krieger
makes about 6 cups of dip

Print Recipe

  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, preferably low-sodium, drained and rinsed
  • 1 tablespoon hot sauce (or to taste)
  • 4 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 tablespoon water
  • 2 cups corn kernels (or 10-ounce box frozen corn)
  • 1/8 cup chopped cilantro leaves
  • 2 ripe avocados
  • 2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced (about 2 cups)
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
  • 1 tablespoon finely diced jalapeno pepper, optional
  • 3/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
  • kosher salt
  • freshly cracked pepper

1) Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until they soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
 

2) Put half of the onion mixture into a food processor with the black beans, hot sauce, 2 tablespoons of the lime juice, cumin, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Puree until smooth. Set aside.

3) Add the corn to the skillet with the remaining onion mixture and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro leaves.  Set aside.

4) In a small bowl, mash the avocado with the remaining lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.

5) In a medium bowl toss together the tomatoes, scallion and jalapeno, if using. Season the tomato mixture with salt and pepper, to taste.
 

6) Spread the black bean dip into the bottom of an 8x8 glass baking or serving dish. Top with the corn mixture, spreading it out to form a single layer over the beans, repeat with the avocado, then the tomatoes.  Sprinkle the cheese on top.  Serve with chips.



Yes, we are sprinkling salt and pepper in just about every layer.  You know why?  Because if you place an unseasoned layer of dip over a layer of seasoned dip, you end up with an unseasoned dip.  I know that is a pretty straightforward statement, but I cannot tell you how many under-seasoned layered dips I've had in my life.  It's a slight pet peeve of mine and trust me, even though I'm a food blogger, I'm far from sophisticated.

I do love my dips though.  It's a great excuse to eat a ton of salty crackers, which is something that speaks to my ever-so-sophisticated palate.  Clearly.  You won't be disappointed with this Mexican-inspired dip.  Serve it at your next party, then make it again just for yourself.  I won't tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment