Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pumpkin Pecan Cranberry Muffins


And I'm back on my "fall flavors" kick.  Can't hold me down for long.

When I made zucchini muffins a few months ago, I was really surprised by how convenient it was for me to freeze the extras, then pop them out and into the microwave for breakfast on the go or a quick snack.  If you know me, you know that I'm usually on the go on the weekends.  So much to do!!!

I sadly ran out of zucchini muffins a few weeks ago and finally got around to making another batch of muffins.  This time, I had some pumpkin puree to use up, so I put it to excellent use.  I mean....pumpkin, pecans, and cranberry in one muffin.  It's like autumn in each bite!

This recipe is super simple too.  It comes together within a few minutes and all of a sudden you have 12 extra large muffins on your hands.  Who doesn't want extra large muffins?  Seriously!  Don't miss out on this!

(OK, I'm shouting now.  Calming it down...)

Pumpkin Pecan Cranberry Muffins
slightly adapted from A Hint of Honey
makes 12 muffins


  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 3/4 - 1 cup honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries, chopped
  • 1/2 cup pecans, chopped

1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tin, or use liners.  (I used both liners and cooking spray to ensure the muffins didn't stick.)

2) In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.

3) In a second bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, oil, honey, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla.

4) Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined (no dry clumps remain).
 

5) Fold in the cranberries and pecans.

6) Evenly divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups.  The cups will be extremely full.

7) Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.  Remove from the oven to cool on a wire rack.


I was initially quite concerned about filling the muffin cups to the brim.  I used to make cupcakes (I totally need to get back into that. So many boozy cupcakes but again, so little time!) and if I filled a cupcake liner to the brim, there was a very good chance I'd spend the next hour or two scraping burnt cupcake batter off the pans.  However, I listened to the recipe and there were no mishaps.  Win!

I couldn't wait too long after the muffins came out of the oven to dive right in.  I'm glad I did because if you've never experienced a warm, spicy, pumpkin muffin with sweet cranberries and crunchy nuts, you really need to do yourself a favor and make this.  This is what I want to eat for (or with) breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I may have done that.  No bigs.

1 comment:

  1. tysm for the recipe, I will try it soon. I just this morning made Mark Bittman's recipe for pumpkin muffins/quickbread. He says any recipe for quick bread can be made into muffins. I was expecting to make a modification or two to his recipe, but ended up only making 1 and that was to substitute coconut oil for the butter. I had also been going to use the baked pumpkin for the fresh grated pumpkin called for, but when I got the pumpkin out of the fridge, it was not looking that good. Back to the original recipe, I got one of my remaining fresh pumpkins out(about 1 1/2 lbs) and cut it in half, peeled it and grated some. All in all, more time spent standing up than I usually can, but worth the effort. My husband pronounced very good. High praise from him as he is not a pumpkin anything except pie man. Next week or when these double size muffins are gone I will make your recipe. I will substitute dried pie cherries for the cranberries as the cherries are better from my inflammation. Hope your muffins are as tasty as they look!!! again tysm for the timely recipe. If I had found it first thing this morning I would have done yours first.

    ReplyDelete