Friday, August 3, 2012

Oven Roasted Corn with Honey Chili Butter

Public Service Announcement: I'm always thinking of ways to make this blog better.  I'm also always thinking of ways to make it easier for readers to access these posts.  Recently, one of my friends said that she would read my blog more often if the posts were emailed to her.  Sooooo, I set up this snazzy new email feature which you can find in that box over to the right of the screen.  Sign up now!

OK, now on to this corn situation we seem to have here...


I love when I find a new way to make or serve corn.  It gets me all excited and I can't wait to share it with you!  You ready? Here we go...
  • Buy fresh corn.
  • Throw corn in preheated oven for 35 minutes.
  • Done.
Why am I just finding out about this cooking methodology now?  The corn is roasted in its own husk and is slightly firm and sweet once done.

Oh, and Beth also recommended that I make a honey chili butter to go along with this corn.  Why yes, Beth, I think I shall.


Oven Roasted Corn with Honey Chili Butter
slightly adapted from Budget Bytes
serves 3

Print Recipe
  • 4 ears of corn, in husks
  • 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon honey

*Clearly you can make as much or as little corn as you like.  Just multiply or divide the recipe as necessary.

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2) Place unhusked corn directly on the oven rack.  Bake for 35 minutes. (Note: I rotated the corn 180 degrees halfway through the roasting process, but this is optional.)


3) Meanwhile, place the butter, chili powder, and honey in a small bowl.  Use a fork or whisk to completely combine the ingredients.  If you wish, you can place the butter back in the fridge while you wait for the corn.




4) When the corn is done roasting, remove them from the oven.  Be careful since they are hot!  Peel back the husks and remove the corn silk. Rub the honey chili butter over the warm corn.  Serve!

Let me inform you that this is how I will be making corn on the cob from now on.  Well, let me rephrase that:  I will be eating corn kernels that have been oven-roasted from now on.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I dislike eating corn on the cob.  If you happen to have the same aversion that I do, simply cut the kernels off the corn cob.  I did this and guess what?  It's still delicious!

I found the butter over the freshly roasted corn to be cool and sweet, but not spicy enough for me.  Personally, I wanted more spice, so I recommend using 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder in the recipe above.  I originally only used 1/4 teaspoon.  But you can take the heat up or down a notch to your liking.  I also have a recent obsession with honey.  I blame Fage Greek Yogurt with Honey for doing this to me.  With that in mind, you can imagine that adding honey to the butter that was smothering this corn was nothing short of mind-blowing for me.

I really need it to be fresh corn season all year round.  Who can I talk to to make this happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment