Friday, July 20, 2012

Corn, Asparagus & Green Bean Salad


Maybe you've figured this out by now.  If not, I'm about to tell you:  I have begun an obsession with vegetables.  This means that you can expect to see a few veggie-related dishes on this blog in the near future. Just a heads-up.

Corn.  Let's talk about it.  There's nothing like a fresh ear of corn.  Or, in my case, fresh corn kernels.  I have an aversion to eating corn on the cob, even though I become obsessed with fresh corn kernels all summer long.  I have this burning desire to put corn in everything.  The end of corn season is a sad sad time in my kitchen.  (Although that means that Fall is right around the corner and that's my hands-down favorite season!)


This week, I was inspired to make a corn salad by Julia from Fat Girl in a Skinny Body. This is my first real taste of this year's summer corn so I wanted to keep things simple.  I didn't want to drown it in heavy cream like my scalloped corn with bacon from last year.  (Did I mention that dish turned out magnificently delicious?  I may need to make that scalloped corn again.)  But for now, I wanted to have a light side dish that really allows you to taste the corn and asparagus.  Don't forget the asparagus, since that's in season as well.  Oh, and I also tossed in green beans, just because I had them on hand.  Don't you cook like this too?   I can't be the only one.

Corn, Asparagus & Green Bean Salad
slightly adapted from FGIASB's Asparagus and Corn Salad 
yields 4-6 small servings

  • 3 ears corn, shucked
  • 1/2 - 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed and cut in 1 inch pieces
  • 1 cup green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup chopped basil (or you can use cilantro/parsley/whatever you prefer)
  • 1 garlic scape, chopped finely
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper

 1) Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil. Add in a large pinch of salt once the water starts to boil.

2) Add the corn to the boiling water and boil for about 5 minutes, until it starts to turn bright yellow. Remove the corn from the pot and set aside to cool.

3) Using the same water and pot used to boil the corn, add the cut green beans.  Cook for 2 minutes.

4) Add the asparagus to the same pot and cook everything for an additional 2 minutes.  Remove from the pot and set aside to cool.

5) Once the corn has cooled slightly, cut off the kernels with a sharp knife.  Add the kernels, asparagus and green beans to a large bowl.

6) In a small bowl, whisk together the basil, garlic scape, olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper.

7) Pour the dressing over the vegetables, then toss to combine. Serve warm or chilled.

I'm into this salad.  So much so that I sort of ate half of it in a single sitting. I can be horrible at sharing if I really like something.  That may be why I didn't even tell anyone that I made this...

The sweet corn was sweet, firm and delicious.  The green beans and asparagus provided that satisfying snap that I love to hear when eating vegetables.  The dressing was a flavorful and tangy sauce that coated each piece of the vegetable.  Altogether I found this to be a refreshing summer dish that I would totally roll up to a BBQ with.  That is, if I could manage to not eat it long enough to bring it anywhere.

2 comments:

  1. May I simply just say what a relief to uncover somebody that really
    knows what they're talking about on the web. You actually understand how to bring a problem to light and make it important. A lot more people must read this and understand this side of your story. I was surprised you aren't
    more popular because you surely possess the gift.
    Look into my web blog ... How to Lose Weight

    ReplyDelete
  2. WONDERFUL! Will most definitely use this recipe again. So nice to read something other then olive oil and salt.

    ReplyDelete