Monday, July 2, 2012

French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese



Whoever first came up with this idea was a genius.  Caramelized onions totally belong with melted cheese and toasted, crunchy bread.  That much is true.  I had heard of a French Onion Soup grilled cheese before, but it slipped my mind (I don't know how!!!) until I saw a post from Joy the Baker a few weeks ago which jogged my memory.

A quick trip to my neighborhood bodega yielded the ingredients, which I swiftly turned into caramelized balsamic onions.  Those caramelized onions were gooood.  I can eat them all by themselves.  What?  I had to taste test, ya know.

Now that the onions were ready to go, so was I.  On to assembling this sandwich goodness...

Btw...did you know that this SlimKicker giveaway is still going on?  Food for thought!


French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese
makes 1 sandwich

Print Recipe
  • 2 slices bread (I used Ezekiel bread, but I think a nice crusty bread would be wonderful as well)
  • butter
  • 1/4 cup balsamic caramelized onions
  • 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese

1) Spread the butter over 1 side of each slice of bread.

2) Place 1 slice of bread, butter side down, in a saucepan over medium heat.

3) Top the slice of bread with the onions and the cheese.

4) Cover the sandwich with remaining slice of bread, butter side up.

5) Once the first side of bread is golden and toasted, flip the sandwich over.

6) Cook until the second slice of bread is also golden and toasted.  Make sure the cheese is melted too!  Slice, if desired, and serve.

Should you wish to serve this with a glass of ice cold beer, I won't hold it against you.

Now.  Let's get down to the sordid details...

This grilled cheese was marvelous.  The bread was crispy on the outside but soft on the inside.  Combine that with the smooth, melted mozzarella and the tangy onions and you will have yourself a winning combination of flavors.

This grilled cheese would be perfect as a snack, breakfast, lunch, or dinner.  So yeah.  It's pretty much a good idea to make and eat this any time of the day.  I used Ezekiel bread because I'm still on that health kick I allude to every now and again.  Clearly you can use whichever type of bread you like.  It's that easy.  Same deal with the cheese.  Use any white cheese you're into right now.  Heck, you can even throw that yellow cheddar on there if you must.  Assemble this sandwich like a boss!

No comments:

Post a Comment