Friday, January 25, 2013

Brussels Sprouts Salad


Listen.  You don't even want to know what's going down over here.  There are nachos, chicken fingers, fries, sweet potato fries (which are stupid good), pie, mac and cheese, s'mores, and donuts that have been ingested by myself in the past week.  I mean, this is not right.  Oh, and let's not forget the massive quantities of wine and beer that I have also downed.  Did I tell you that, to help pass my time on disability, I joined my favorite bar's Beer Club?  Don't get me started on the damage that little action has done to my insides.

I know that I am totally to blame for this and I have already apologized to myself.  I've also been trying to make things up by eating more salad.  My go-to salad is a random mix of salad greens, mushrooms, caramelized onions, avocado, and mozzarella cheese, drizzled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  My second favorite salad is from my bar, which is a fantastic chopped salad topped with grilled salmon.  I order this while putting in work to drink all 250 beers in the Beer Club.  What was I thinking?

In  order to keep things interesting in the salad arena, I figured I should test out a new salad recipe.  I've been trying to get into brussels sprouts lately and since this recipe got great reviews from a few bloggers, I wanted to try it out too.  Monkey see, monkey do!

 
Brussels Sprouts Salad
slightly adapted from Shutterbean 


  • 24 Brussels sprouts, shredded
  • 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated
  • 1 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 9 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
  • salt & pepper, to taste


1) Shred the Brussels sprouts in a food processor, mandolin or chop with a knife.

2) Toss the sprouts in a bowl, top with the walnuts & grated cheese.
 
3) In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, white wine vinegar and mustard with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.  Pour the dressing over the salad and toss thoroughly.

4) Serve immediately.

This salad was hearty and crisp.  It really reminds me of a coleslaw with a tangy dressing, which is something I like, so this is not a problem for me.

I have mixed feelings about this salad.  I think it's good, but the underlying issue for me is that I don't like brussels sprouts as much as I want to like them.  And I really, really want to like them.  Like sooo bad.  Right now, I enjoy a bite or two and then I'm done.  Ooooh brussels, I will conquer you one day.  Today isn't that day, but soon.  Soon.

1 comment: