Thursday, January 17, 2013

Kale Frittata

 

You know how sometimes you "find" ingredients in the refrigerator that were really meant for this one thing you were going to make, but now it's a week and a half later and you don't really want to make that dish anymore but you don't want the ingredient to go bad?

Yeah.  That happened.  So then this frittata sort of happened.

First of all, I have to (have to, have to!) state that I KNOW the first sentence is a run-on sentence.  It annoys me and my grammar sensibilities to no end that it's a run-on sentence, but I'm owning it today.  I own you, you run-on sentence.

But...frittata.  I re-discovered some kale in my fridge the other day.  It was originally meant to make a kale salad that was going to be fresh and crisp and delicious in every way.  Unfortunately, I happened to have a ton of additional salad ingredients in the fridge as well. Since I like a little variety in my life, I made the executive decision to turn this kale into something else.

Yep.  Frittata.



Kale Frittata
slightly adapted from My Kitchen In The Rockies
yields 4 - 6 servings

  • 8 large eggs
  • 4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
  • salt
  • black pepper
  • habanero sauce, to taste
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced crosswise
  • 1 bunch kale, stems and center ribs cut away, leaves coarsely chopped
  • 2 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (~ 2/3 cup)
  • cooking spray

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray a 9- or 9-1/2-inch pie dish with cooking spray.

2) Whisk the eggs, 2 tablespoons cheese, garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and habanero sauce together in a large bowl.

3) Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.  Add the onions and saute until tender, not browned.
 

4) Add the kale in 3 batches.  Toss each batch until wilted before adding the next.  Cover the saucepan in between batches to assist in the wilting process.
 

5) Sprinkle the kale with additional salt and pepper.  Continue to saute until any liquid in the pan evaporates.

6) Add the prosciutto to the skillet and allow to cook for about 1 minute.
 

7) Transfer the skillet contents to the prepared pie dish.
 

8) Pour the egg mixture over the kale, shaking the dish gently to ensure the liquid is distributed evenly.  Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese over the frittata.

9) Place the pie dish in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the center of the frittata is no longer wet and a toothpick comes out clean. (You don't want the center of the frittata to be too firm, as it will continue to cook for a few minutes once it comes out the oven.)

10) Allow the frittata to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.  Serve warm or room temperature.


I posted a pic to Instagram earlier this week (you follow me, right?) and I got a few requests for the recipe.  So here ya go.  I hope it is all that and a bag of chips, cause that's what I thought it was.  The kale, prosciutto, and onions came together to yield a perfect breakfast (lunch, dinner, or snack) casserole that I can count on to be healthy as well as tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment