Saturday, April 20, 2013

Indian-Style Meatballs



Take a look at these pictures, please.

This would be the last set of food photos I took in my old apartment.  As I mentioned before, I had a few recipes backlogged so that I could seamlessly transition to my new apartment without interrupting my posting schedule.  What can I say?  I was obsessed with being organized for this move.  (Let's not speak about that rogue bookshelf that I accidentally left in my roommate's storage facility.  It's still too soon.)

I did manage to take a few test photos this past weekend in the new digs and I'm sort of in love.  I hope to whip something up this weekend to make sure that it wasn't just a fluke and that yes, I can take decent food shots in my new abode.  Crisis averted.

With all that jazz out of the way, I have to say that these meatballs came out fantastically!  I love ground meat (beef, chicken, pork, etc) but I sometimes struggle with ways to use it creatively.  Enter Bev's Indian-style meatballs.  Ta-da.  This, my friends, is the beginning of a beautiful meatball relationship.


Indian-Style Meatballs
slightly adapted from Bev Cooks
makes ~3 dozen small meatballs

Print Recipe

Meatballs
  • 20 ounces lean ground beef
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons garam masala
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly minced ginger
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/3 cup cilantro
  • 3/4 cup homemade breadcrumbs
  • 1 1/2 pinches salt and black pepper
  • 1 1/2 pinches cayenne pepper
  • olive oil
Sauce
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds
  • 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 (10-oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1 pinch coarse salt

Make the meatballs:

1) In a large bowl, mix together the beef, garam masala, ginger, garlic, cilantro, breadcrumbs, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.  It is easiest to do this using your hands.

2) Roughly form the meatballs.  If you make bigger meatballs than I did, you will have fewer than 3 dozen.  Place the meatballs on a plate and refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight.
 

3) Drizzle the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  In batches, place the meatballs in the pan and sear until brown on all sides and cooked through.
 

4) Once the meatballs are done, place them on a plate covered in a paper towel to drain any excess oil.

Make the sauce:

5) While the meatballs are cooking, place the almonds in a food processor and grind until fine, about 30 seconds.

6) Add the cumin and tomato sauce.  Process until the mixture is smooth.

7) Pour in the cream and process again until smooth.
 

8) Place the sauce in a small pot and simmer on low for 5 - 10 minutes.  You are really just looking to blend the flavors together in this step.

9) Drizzle the sauce over the cooked meatballs.  Serve warm.

Side note: Even though Bev stuffed her meatballs into a sandwich, I'm trying to limit the amount of carbs I intake on a daily basis so I decided to enjoy these meatballs as-is. (Side side note: That no-carb/low-carb thing is not really working. Like...at all.)  But you can choose your own path....

Let me tell you just how enjoyable these meatballs were.  The meat was tender, yet still juicy.  The garam masala and ginger made the meat taste warm and spicy.  The creamy almond sauce was definitely a favorite of mine.  First of all, we all know that I love almonds, but pair that with cream, tomato sauce and cumin?  We have ourselves a winner, folks.

Anyhow, what I'm trying to say is this: Go get you some of this meatball situation.  And by "go get you some", I really mean: Make this!

No comments:

Post a Comment