Thursday, April 11, 2013

Spiced Cocoa Brownies



In case you're wondering, I ended up in Target the other day.  Big surprise.  I seriously went in to get some candy and a few toiletries...

Let's cut to me in the Home Decor section, which, in case you were also wondering, is nowhere NEAR the candy and toiletries aisles.  You know how it is.  You just stop in for one or two things and the next thing you know, you get sucked into a vortex, your shopping cart is filled to the brim, and your credit card bill is atrocious.  I ended up purchasing a starburst mirror for my new place (new obsession), along with a set of pots and pans, a set of knives, utensils and a few small kitchen gadgets.

As I ran away from the store hiding my face in just a little bit of shame, I realize that I still. don't. have. a. brownie. pan.  Target trip fail.  Well, not a real fail, since I also didn't own a starburst mirror, a set of pot and pans, a set of knives, utensils, and a few small kitchen gadgets prior to this trip either.  I complained about my lack of a brownie pan in my red velvet brownie post from way back in December, and I still haven't resolved this situation.   I'll just have to "stumble upon" a brownie pan the next time I swing by Target to pick up some face cream or something else just as obscure.  Until that happens (probably next week), I had to make these spiced cocoa brownies in the trusty ole' casserole pan.  You just do what you need to do.


Spiced Cocoa Brownies
from Hungry Girl Por Vida

Print Recipe
 
  • 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup cocoa plus 2 Tablespoons
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cold eggs
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 tablespoon of sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne

1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Line an 8×8 inch baking pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.

2) In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter.


3) Stir in the sugar, cocoa, salt and vanilla.  Combine well.


4) Remove the pan from heat and allow to cool a few minutes, until no longer hot, but still warm to the touch. The mixture may appear grainy and slightly greasy.


5) Once the mixture has cooled to warm and the pan is no longer burning hot, vigorously whisk in the eggs one at a time until completely incorporated.  The mixture should become smooth and shiny.


6) Fold in the flour, using about 40 folds.


7) Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.


8) In a small bowl, whisk together the tablespoon of sugar, cinnamon, and cayenne. Sprinkle the sugar mixture evenly over the top of the brownie batter.


9) Bake in the center of the oven for about 20-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownie comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool brownies completely before cutting.


I found that my brownies were really fudge-y.  I'm not sure if they're supposed to come out that way, but I didn't dislike it.  You know what else I'm not mad at?  I didn't have to break out a mixer or use a ton of elbow grease to make this batter come together.  I'm really into that situation.  That really cuts down on the time between me dreaming about these brownies and actually eating them.

These brownies were sweet and spicy and melt-in-your-mouth amazing.  I only have one gripe with the recipe as-is.  Imagine that you are starving for a warm brownie fresh out of the oven and you start inhaling a slice of this heaven.  Then imagine the loose sugar, cinnamon and cayenne pepper on top of the brownie hitting you full force in the throat.  There are no words for that experience, my friends.  So next time I'll most likely incorporate the topping into the actual brownie batter.  I'm pretty sure that will keep me from gagging and rolling around in pain when all I really wanted was a spicy chocolate brownie.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment