Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Bahamian Johnnycake

I recently went home to the Bahamas and each time I've been with my family lately, I've been trying to snag another recipe to post on the blog. There are two reasons for this. The first is that I think it's pretty cool to make food from different parts of the world and learn more about other countries. The second reason is purely selfish. Since most Bahamians tend to cook without recipes, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to recreate my favorite dishes years down the road. So I guess I'm also trying to record as many recipes as possible for posterity.

The latest installment in this series is a something called a johnnycake. I looked up the word "johnnycake" online and Google came back with some cornmeal- or cornbread-type thingy. Let me assure you that this is not what we make in the Bahamas. Apparently the term johnnycake has different meanings in different countries. (Although this does make me want to try the American version of johnnycake. I gladly accept gifts of food, just so you know.)

The Bahamian version of johnnycake is a cross between a dense bread and a slightly sweet cake. It's best served warm, slathered with butter and accompanying a soup or stew. However, if you're anything like me and my family, you can have it anytime of the day.

Bahamian Johnnycake

Print Recipe
  • 1/2 cup butter, room temperature + extra for greasing pan
  • 3/4 cups sugar
  • 4 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ~3/4 cup milk
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

2) Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until combined.

3) Add the flour, water, salt, and baking powder to the bowl.

4) Add the milk slowly until the batter is sticky.

5) Dust hands with flour. Transfer dough from bowl to greased 9x9 pan. Gently flatten the dough in the pan.


6) Bake for ~1hr or until the edges of the johnnycake are browned. The johnnycake will not rise much.

7) Let cool for several minutes before cutting into the johnnycake.

This is an easy, simple recipe which will provide you with a warm and delicious addition to your breakfast, lunch or dinner.

20 comments:

  1. I had johnnycake when I was in the Bahamas last year, and it's so much better than cornbread ( i think). I like how it's sweet. Thanks for the recipe, I may try it sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sounds brilliant to make..i live in england and have been searching for a true recipe to home all evening. im going to try this now and let you know how it goes...thanks a million...have you got a recipe for chicken souse or dumpling soup by any chance....thanks again...candy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, please let me know how it comes out. I don't have a recipe for Chicken Souse or Dumpling Soup yet, but I'll ask my family and work on figuring out the recipe. You know we use "a little of this and a handful of that" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chicken Souse

    1 whole chicken - cut up in small pieces. About 2 inches square. Use all the chicken except wing tips and drumstick ends. Make sure you clean it, but leave the skin on and some of the fat.

    1/4 cup salt - I know that sounds like a lot, but there are not too many ingredients in the soup, so you need it for flavour.

    1 medium onion - diced

    2 stalks celery - diced

    2-4 bird peppers (or scotch bonnet peppers) cut up very small, (you can put more or less according to taste)

    4-6 limes - juice only

    3 TBS Whole allspice

    1-2 potatoes cubed.

    you can do it two ways. Either in a pot on the stove or in the crock pot. I prefer the crock pot because I can put it on in the morning and come home later to a cooked meal.

    Put all ingredients, except the potatoes in a crockpot, and cover with water. Just enough water to cover all the chicken. Turn on low for 5 hours. Put the potatoes in the pot and cook on high 1 more hour.

    On the stove, put all ingredients in the pot, except the potatoes Put enough water in the pot to cover the chicken and about another inch of water. Boil for about 1 hour and put potatoes in and cook until they are just done about 15 minutes.

    I just finished eating this meal and it was really good. The johnnycake recipe would have made it perfect. My husband likes home made bread, but I perfer the heavy dense texture of johnnycake for dunking in the soup.

    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried this recipe last weekend and my johnny cake was FABULOUS! So much so that I have another one going in the oven as I type and I will be making it for my church's International Day next weekend! I am from the Bahamas but I live in New Jersey, so stuff like this is hard to come by unless you know how to make it! This recipe hits the nail on the head - thank you SO much for posting this! I feel a little bit closer to home :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it! It's my family recipe so I'm glad I finally got a chance to document it somewhere.

      Delete
  6. Awesome recipe! Normally I screw up on box cakes, so it was amazing to see my very first try at johnny cake come out so 'right'. I just made it to serve with souse for my husband tomorrow morning as our 1 month-a-versary breakfast. Can't wait to see his response.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy 1 month anniversary. I'm happy you chose to make this and it turned out well!

      Delete
  7. Just wanted to say Thanks for the great recipe. I made it for the SRC this month, and have been enjoying munching on it. In fact, I froze it in slices and have been taking it out and toasting them under the broiler, and OMG, they are so good. Now to make some Souse as soon as the weather cools down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi just wanted to know if u can cook these on a hot plate instead of the oven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried that, or heard of anyone who's tried that, but you could see if it works out. I think the flavor may be the same, but the texture wouldn't be as "fluffy" as if you baked it in an oven. Good luck!

      Delete
  9. I use this recipe but with 1/2 cup of sugar instead. I think the original is a tad bit too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great recipe. I love it. Was dying for some good johnny cake up here in toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was looking for a good Johnny Cake Recipe for my daughters International Day in her 6th grade class. I am going to try yours, it is the first one that seems real!!! I can't wait to try it. Every year the 6th grade does an International Day - they choose a country to do research on starting in September and then ending with a big party in December before Holiday Break! Tonight is the night! I have two daughters in 6th grade this year so I am going to be busy this afternoon and this seems like such a simple recipe that I can't wait to taste! I will let you know how I make out - I am so EXCITED!!! Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Ellie! I too am a Bahamian, in Virginia and will be using this recipe for my johnnycake to go with chicken souse (my husbands fav) tomorrow. The recipe sounds great and the product looks divine. Let's see if I can pull this one off. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, Thanks for the kind words. I know you'll be able to pull this off tomorrow!

      Delete
    2. OMG Ellie! It came out great! This is my best johnnycake ever. My kids could not believe the taste, they love it and so does does my husband. And they are truly honest folks. Thanks again for the recipe. We had it with chicken souse today and I will have it with heated with a slice of cheddar cheese with my tea in the morning (and perhaps tonight too!). Thanks so much!

      Delete
    3. So glad you loved it! I had to laugh at eating it with cheddar cheese and some tea. That's how my mom likes it too!

      Delete