Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Saucy Pulled Pork

There is nothing like the idea of perfectly seasoned strands of pork dredged in barbecue sauce to get me excited. Like REALLY excited! Maybe giddy is a better description. I just know that life in general is pretty awesome when I'm about to take a bite of a pulled pork sandwich. Or when I stand over the slow cooker and shovel forkfuls into my mouth.

When my friend Lindsey sent me a link to some cupcakes at the AmyBites blog, I naturally perused the website for other recipes. Why wouldn't I, right? Then the heavens opened and people started singing when I alighted upon a recipe for pulled pork. I've made pulled pork before, but the results were OK. The pork was pretty good, but I later realized that I hadn't allowed the meat to get to the "falling apart" stage before attempting to shred it. So although it was fully cooked, I had to exert excessive energy into shredding. At any rate, I was also interested in trying out another pulled pork recipe. You really can't have too many, you know.

Saucy Pulled Pork
recipe slightly adapted from the amybites blog

Print Recipe
  • 2lbs pork butt
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 30 oz barbecue sauce (I used ~3/4 of a 40oz bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's, my favorite)
1) Combine the salt, ground mustard, and cayenne pepper. Rub the mixture all over the pork.

2) Add a drizzle of olive oil to a pan, over medium to high heat.

3) Brown the pork butt on all sides. Do not attempt to cook the pork all the way through.

4) Place the pork in a crock pot, along with the onions and barbecue sauce.

5) Turn the crock pot on high and cook for 6-8 hours. The pork is done if the meat falls apart when shredded with a fork.

6) Remove the pork from the crock pot and shred in a bowl. Place the shredded meat back in the crock pot and mix with the sauce. Serve as you wish.

This pulled pork would be a part of my last meal. I swear it. The pork is tender and melts in your mouth. Every few bites, you also get a taste of the crust which was seared into the pork. The sweet and spicy barbecue sauce was the perfect accompaniment to the meat. I think it tastes best on a roll with some cheese, but if you don't have a roll handy, try it tossed with some pasta!

No comments:

Post a Comment