Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Rosemary Roasted Potatoes

Back in March, I went to a couple of shows at City Winery in New York City. While sipping my Cabernet and waiting for the show to start, I found myself getting a bit hungry. Now this is a common occurrence for me when drinking, so I also found myself searching out my favorite cure for this issue. French fries. City Winery happened to have Rosemary Fries. (To be honest, I can't remember if that is the actual name of the side dish, but essentially the dish consists of fries with a rosemary flavor). I discovered my love of rosemary that day. And I "rediscover" it every time I returned to the restaurant since that first night.

Lately though, I haven't been spending any quality time with City Winery. Since I've been denied my rosemary fries for a few months now, I decided it was time to recreate these flavors at home.

I will admit that I have no patience for frying food in my apartment. My reasoning is a combination of several things which include, in no particular order:
- inability to withstand scorching hot oil droplets hurling at my face and arms;
- smelling like I work in grease pit (been there, done that, not pleasant);
- figuring out how to dispose of cruddy oil once the frying process is finished.

In light of these things, I chose to bake up some rosemary potatoes. I searched for fingerling potatoes in my neighborhood supermarket, but the only thing I could scrounge up were "tiny red potatoes". So "tiny red potatoes" are what I used. If you find potatoes in another size (larger or smaller), you'll have to play around with the amount of seasonings and the baking time of this recipe to figure out what works best for you.


Rosemary Roasted Potatoes

Print Recipe
  • 1 1/2 lbs tiny red potatoes, quartered
  • 2 teaspoons minced rosemary
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

2) In a large bowl, mix together the potatoes, rosemary, garlic, and olive oil.

3) Add salt and pepper to taste.

4) Spread the potatoes out evenly on a baking sheet.

5) Bake for ~35 minutes, or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.

These potatoes were tender and salty, with just a hint of rosemary. The roasting process gives a nice crust to the outer edges of each potato. In all honesty, I could have used more rosemary in this dish, as I was lacking some of the rosemary flavor that I was so craving. Maybe next time I would also try to use a rosemary-flavored oil to pack more of a punch. However, this is not to say the potatoes weren't good. I thought they were quite tasty and would make an excellent side dish for any meal.

2 comments:

  1. I seriously love rosemary potatoes. They're one of my favorite foods in life when paired with roast chicken. Yours do look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. They were pretty good, but just need a little more rosemary next time!

    ReplyDelete