Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pea and Goat Cheese Risotto

 

If you don't mind, I'd like to continue along my current theme of comfort foods.  That's allowed, right?  Regardless of the fact that it's only been arctic cold for about 5 days out of the past 30 or so, I am always ready to whip up rich and creamy dishes at the drop of a hat.
This particular recipe was initially born out of my love of goat cheese and my discovery of a package of frozen peas.  This is the truth.  However, my desire to bathe my face in warm goat cheese and risotto is really what lit a fire under my "you know what".

As I strongly suspected, this risotto was fabulous.  It was creamy. It was goat-cheesy. It was good for you (hello, peas are vegetables). It was warm and satisfying in my belly.

My work here is done.




Peas and Goat Cheese Risotto

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 cups Arborio rice
  • 2 cups frozen peas
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 6-8 cups chicken stock, warmed
  • juice of 1-2 lemons
  • 4 ounces goat cheese
  • 4 tablespoons Greek yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons mint, julienned
  • salt and pepper, to taste

1) Drizzle the olive oil into a large pot and warm through.

2) Add the onions and cook until almost translucent.

3) Toss in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.

4) Add in the rice and saute for another minute.

5) Pour in the wine and stir.  Allow the wine to be absorbed by the rice.


6) Add the stock 1 -2 ladles at a time, stirring after each addition.  When the stock is almost all absorbed, add another ladle or two of stock.  Continue until you reach the desired consistency of your risotto.


Tip: Risotto is typically done when you can drag a spoon through the risotto, down to the bottom of the pan and the trail you leave remains visible for a second or two.

7)  Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the peas, mint, goat cheese, lemon juice, and greek yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment