Monday, March 5, 2012

Avocado Toast

 

I've been seeing a trend on Pinterest lately.  It's something called Avocado Toast.  Let's get something straight.  I'm really like avocado.  In fact, I'm a lover of avocado.  That's right. I laid it out there.  Twice.

Growing up in the Bahamas, I was lucky enough to have an avocado tree in backyard.  When the avocados (or "pears", as we call them -- I didn't know they were called avocados for years. Years.) were in season, I could eat to my heart's content.  But I haven't busted a move with an avocado in a long time.  Since I've been trying to incorporate more healthy foods into my diet lately, I decided that my busy weekend could do with a burst of protein and good fat.  And sometimes the simplest recipe is just the way to go.


Avocado Toast
yields 2 slices of toast
  • 1/2 avocado, small (or medium if you're into that), mashed
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 slices of toasted bread

Optional Toppings:
  • blue cheese, crumbled
  • pinch of cayenne
  • fresh cilantro, shredded
  • tomatoes, diced or sliced
 

1) Mix the avocado with the salt and pepper until fully incorporated. (If you wish, you can also add the toppings right into the avocado mixture.)

2) Spread this mixture on the toast.

3) If desired, place or sprinkle toppings over the avocado.

4) Eat.


Are we done already?  Yes.  Yes, we are.  That was the easiest, tastiest meal I've had in a while.  

Go on with your bad self and add blue cheese, tomatoes, cilantro, or cayenne pepper.  I'm sure there are other options that I haven't even thought of.  I personally enjoyed my toast with a sprinkle of blue cheese (not pictured because it was an impulse move on my part).  I really liked this addition.  The tang of the cheese paired well with the creamy avocado and crunchy toast. Enjoy your own version of avocado toast as an open-faced breakfast sandwich or maybe a mid-day snack.  Either way, you won't be disappointed.

3 comments:

  1. I love simple, healthy food! This would make a great post-workout snack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do too! I also indulge in this as a pre-workout snack :)

      Delete