Friday, March 23, 2012

Bacon & Egg Cups


I rarely do this.  Clearly, I need to work on it.  I'll take this on as a "To Do".

I'm fixing you up some brunch goodies.  You could also call them breakfast goodies.  Suit yourself.  Let's get into some bacon and eggs.  But not just any bacon and eggs.  Bacon and egg cups.  They're so cute I can't stand it.  The only thing better than being able to play with your food is being able to eat your food.  With these, you can do both.  And they're so easy to make.  Here the gist of things:
  • Fry up some bacon
  • Line muffin tins with aforementioned bacon
  • Drop in some eggs and seasonings
  • Stick in the oven for several minutes.
  • Voila.  Brunch is served.

Although you may not see it in these pictures, don't forget to add a nice little side salad to balance things out.  I'm in an arugula phase right now.  However, I didn't have any arugula around to add in here.  Fail.  Don't be like me.  Get your greens on.

Also, a nice glass of orange juice would be an excellent touch.  Or a mimosa.  I won't tell.

The moral of this story: Make good food.  Share good food.  Eat good food.


Bacon & Egg Cups
yields 4 servings

  • 8 strips bacon
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced onion
  • handful cilantro, minced
  • garlic powder, to taste
  • salt, to taste
  • pepper, to taste

1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly spray4 muffin cups with cooking spray.  Set aside.

2) Fry the bacon for about 3 minutes.  You want the bacon to begin to shrivel, but you don't want it to get crispy yet.

3) Beat the eggs with the onion, cilantro, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

4) Line the muffin tins with the bacon.  I found it was easier to work with the bacon after I cut/tore it in half.  Any extra bacon bits were crumbled and placed in the bottom of the muffin tin.

5) Divide the beaten eggs evenly into each muffin tin.  Some may end up behind the bacon liners.  Don't worry about that.  Fill any empty muffin cups with water to prevent them from getting burnt.

6) Bake in the oven to desired level of done-ness.  I like mine well-done, so they baked for 16-18 minutes.

7) Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from muffin tins.  Serve warm.

4 comments: