Monday, October 15, 2012

Baked Sweet Potato Chips


There are few things that I get more excited about (food-wise) than sweet potatoes.  I eat them year-round, but there's something extra special about enjoying them during the fall months.  Every bite seems that much more enjoyable.

When it came time for this month's Secret Recipe Club, I confess that I totally did a search for sweet potato recipes.  I mean, fall IS in full swing, right?  So why not take advantage of it and whip up something containing one of my favorite vegetables?

This month, I was assigned The Tasty Cheapskate's blog.  In terms of concept, this blog really reminds me of my own.  I also think it's important to have tasty, fresh, and healthy (OK, so maybe that cupcake phase I went through wasn't entirely healthy) food in your home.  I wish I could have made several of the recipes I found there, but as I said before I was pretty focused on my sweet potato quest.  And thankfully, The Tasty Cheapskate came through for me!  Sweet Potato Chips.  Winner!

I can't even handle it.  I live for sweet potato chips.  I will eat them at a moment's notice.  And yet for some reason, I've never even thought to make them.  Let's fix that, alright?

Baked Sweet Potato Chips

  • 1 sweet potato, peeled and thinly sliced
  • vegetable oil (optional)
  • salt
  • sugar and cinnamon

Note: This recipe is very adaptable.  You can scale up to accommodate more than 1 sweet potato, if desired.  Also, I used two different seasonings in order to have a variety of chips.  You can use as much or as little seasoning as desired.

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.  Lightly drizzle and spread the oil over the parchment paper

2) Peel your potato and slice as thinly as possible.  If you're fancy, you can use an actual slicing tool.

3) Place the sweet potato rounds on the oiled paper.

4) Lightly drizzle another layer of vegetable oil over the potatoes.

5) Dust the potatoes with the salt OR cinnamon sugar mixture.  (Though I do recommend adding a pinch of salt to the cinnamon sugar mix for an unexpected sweet-salty combination!)

6) Bake the sweet potato chips for 20 - 25 minutes.  The amount of time your chips will need depends on how thinly they are sliced, so watch them closely.
FYI - These chips aren't the same as the ones above.  This batch's chips 
weren't as large as the first set.

7) Remove the chips from the oven when they are crispy enough for you.  Allow to cool for a few minutes before enjoying.

My favorite seasoning had to be the cinnamon sugar.  Cinnamon sugar is where it's at for the fall months too.  So...cinnamon sugar on sweet potatoes is a double whammy.  I also would have liked to have crispier chips, but it was completely my fault that the chips were thicker than they should have been.

Oh well, the taste was nothing short of amazing.  I think my favorite part was when an edge of a chip would turn dark brown, almost burnt.  Yes, I am in love with slightly burnt crispy sweet potato chips.  Can you say that three times fast?  Now that I know how to make these things myself, let me tell you that this may be a dangerous season for my waistline!

12 comments:

  1. Hi, I wanted to let you know your were my person for the SRC! I made your candied pecans. They were awesome! The sweet potato chips look amazing! I love sweet potatoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a nice lunch snack to me! I love sweet potatoes too and no one in my house does so I think this would be an easy treat for just me to enjoy ! Hope you stop by and visit my meatball recipe this month.. As there is a secret ingredient used in there, Doritos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them when they're burnt on the edges too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sweet potato chips and make them often (year-round too!) I like a smoky season salt on mine--delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These could become seriously addictive, and a nice alternative to my sweet potato frenchfry cravings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a fellow sweet potato fry addict. And yes, these were also addictive. I ate it all in one sitting! :)

      Delete