Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Caramelized Onion, Chorizo & Goat Cheese Pizza



I've been running around like a maniac for the past week or three.  I seriously need a vacation like nobody's business.  But that won't happen soon.  And I was "persuaded" to take on another project that will finish up in November.  So until then, I'll once again be harried.  Story of my life.

Let's not dwell on that.  Let's dwell on something that I've never had on this blog before.  Pizza.  The main reason that I haven't made this food before has to do with the dreaded dough.  As I've mentioned in the past, I am not a fan of making dough so I don't do it.  I feel no need to challenge myself.  I'd rather get an extra workout in or grab a beer with a friend.  Facts.

After my trip to The Brooklyn Local last week, I found a package of flatbreads in my awesome gift bag.  At the event, these flatbreads were being used as wraps for cold cuts and cheeses.  I'm not such a fan of those but I decided that the bread would be excellent as a pizza crust.

Since I'm typically eating for one (or two when I'm just plain old starving), it's a pretty fair assumption that I have oodles of leftover ingredients hanging out in the kitchen.  That may be an accurate assumption.  I pulled together a few of my favorite ingredients to create this pizza.

Caramelized Onion, Chorizo & Goat Cheese Pizza
makes 1-2 servings

Print Recipe
  • 1 flatbread
  • 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
  • 1/2 cup balsamic caramelized onions
  • ~3-4 ounces chorizo
  • salt and pepper, to taste (optional)

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

2) Crumble the sausage in a saucepan over medium heat.  Saute until cooked through.


3) Place the flatbread on a baking sheet.  Drizzle and spread the olive oil over the top of the flatbread.


4) Scatter the goat cheese over the olive oil, followed by the balsamic caramelized onions, and then the chorizo.


5) If desired, scatter the salt and pepper over the pizza.

6) Bake for 5-7 minutes or until the edges of the flatbread are crisp.


7) Allow the pizza to cool for a few minutes, then slice into the desired size.

Nom nom delicious.  Yeah, that's what I said.  This pizza was a bit crispier than I intended for it to be, as I left it in the oven for 1 minute too long.  However it still turned out to be really tasty and I quite liked the slightly burnt edges.  The onions were soft, sweet and savory.  They were complemented by the smooth, tangy cheese and the spicy chorizo.  This was a great combination and I found I didn't need anything extra, as my onions were heavily seasoned with balsamic vinegar and rosemary.

So there you have it.  A quick and easy meal that I may have wolfed down all by myself.  I'm neither confirming nor denying anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment