Monday, January 7, 2013

Almond Crescent Cookies


Ladies and gents, we are now 7 (seven!) days into 2013.  Are you tired of trying to workout like a maniac?  I am.  But that's probably because I can't workout.  Last week I got this little foot surgery thing done.  So yeah, I've been (mostly) laid up on the couch/bed waiting for my bones to heal so I can do some back flips or something just as cool.

Whether or not you're restricted as I am, I have cookies.  I have almond crescent cookies for you whether or not you just made a resolution yesterday to stop eating cookies.  These are good and these are worth "tweaking" your resolutions.  Maybe you can have 3 cookies instead of none.  More is always better.  Always.  Unless it's something foul-tasting.  And these cookies will never be called that.


Almond Crescent Cookies
slightly adapted from I Wash, You Dry
yields ~3 dozen cookies

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 2/3 cups sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • 1 cup ground almonds*
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • powdered sugar for dusting

*Place 1 cup slivered almonds in a food processor and grind as finely as possible.
 

1) Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

2) Using a mixer, combine butter and sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
 

3) Add the vanilla and almond extracts and beat until combined.

4) Pour in the ground almonds and flour a little at a time until a dough forms. It will be crumbly, but should stick together when pinched with your fingers.

5) Take 1 tablespoon of dough and form into a ball, then shape into a crescent.

6) Chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

7) Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes, or until the cookies begin to brown lightly on the bottom.

8) Remove from the oven and sift powdered sugar over the cookies while still slightly warm.

These things are too addictive.  The cookies themselves are not overly sweet, but they are butter-y and light.  The powdered sugar provides an additional sweetness that is not over the top.

These crisp, crumbly, and delicate cookies will be the hit in any kitchen.  They were in mine.  I taste tested several to ensure that they were as delicious as I thought they were.  I try to do my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment