Thursday, January 3, 2013

Asparagus & Grilled Onions with Mozzarella



Happy New Year everyone!!!

I would like to take a pause and momentarily provide you with a salad.  A vegetable salad.

I am a fan of this sitch.  It's really been too long since I've made asparagus.  Since my mom is staying with me for a few days and she loves it, I decided to dig up some bookmarked recipes and see what was what.  I mean, I could use some health up in my life.  Who doesn't?

I eventually picked out this salad because, beside the asparagus being present, of course there are grilled onions.  Just say yes to onions.  Grilled onions deserve a double-yes.  Can we make that happen?  Thanks. Theeeeen, we also have the almonds and cheese and olive oil and vinegar....Was someone watching me in the kitchen to figure out everything I like and then make a salad out of it?  This is just genius.  Let it happen.

Oh, and just so you know, I amped things up a bit by drizzling Herbes de Provence olive oil over everything.  Have I told you that I'm into olive oils recently?  There may possibly be a new bottle of Trader Joe's Black Truffle olive oil in our pantry as well.  I just imposed a January 2013 "no-buy" on myself so hopefully these impulsive purchases will stop.  Like now.  Except I just bought a new shirt online last night.  But that was with a gift card, so technically, I didn't actually buy it.  See how that works?

I'm digressing.  Where was I?  Oh, this vegetable salad.  Let's get at it.


Asparagus & Grilled Onions with Mozzarella
slightly adapted from The Delicious Life
makes 4 servings

Print Recipe

  • 1 - 2 extra-large bunches asparagus, washed and trimmed of fibrous ends
  • 1/2 large sweet onion
  • 1 1/2 - 2 fresh bocconcini mozzarella balls
  • 2 - 3 teaspoons slivered almonds, chopped
  • Herbes de Provence extra virgin olive oil, about 2 tablespoons
  • white wine vinegar, about 1 tablespoon
  • salt and pepper to taste, about 1/2 - 1 teaspoon each

1) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Drop the asparagus into the water and cook until tender, ~2 minutes.  Remove from pot and set aside to cool.  Slice the cooled asparagus in half cross-wise.


2) Peel and slice the onion into 1/2-inch thick discs.  Char the onions on a grill, cool, then dice.


3) Place the asparagus on a large plate.  Dice the bocconcini into smaller pieces and scatter over the asparagus.
 

4) Sprinkle the diced grilled onions and almonds over the asparagus and cheese.

5) Drizzle the olive oil and vinegar over the vegetables.  Add the salt and pepper.  Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment