Monday, September 2, 2013

Watermelon & Mint Salad


The title of this post is way less interesting than originally intended.  You see, I picked up a few items at the grocery store the other day and this stash just so happened to include watermelon and an avocado.  The thought never entered my mind to combine them together.  I'm typically a salted-avocado slice kind of gal.  However, I then saw this post which combines watermelon and avocado into a salad! Since I already had most of the ingredients at hand I figured I'd throw this together to see what it was all about.

Let's segway to that moment when I slice open my avocado and there's a black ring throughout the entire fruit... You know that avocado got the stink side-eye.  But I pulled up my big girl pants and decided to simply leave the avocado out of this equation.  Problem solved in three seconds flat.  The recipe is pretty free-form, so I grabbed the ingredients I did have and got to work.

Watermelon & Mint Salad
adapted from Love & Lemons


Salad:
  • watermelon chunks
  • lime juice
  • salt
  • thinly sliced onion
  • feta cheese
  • mint leaves
  • salad green

Dressing:
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • juice of 1 lime
  • crushed red pepper
  • salt
  • pepper

1) Whisk together all dressing ingredients.  Set aside.

2) Cube the watermelon, then add a few pinches of salt and a squeeze of lime juice.

3) Assemble the salad and drizzle on as much dressing as desired.  Toss to coat the salad in the dressing.  Store any extra dressing at room temperature for a day or so.

If you are feeling adventurous, you could throw in some balsamic vinegar or a balsamic glaze.  I was going to do that, but then I forgot.  Whoops.  But this salad.  This salad was a refreshing mix of sweet, salty, and tangy watermelon, tart feta, fragrant mint, and spicy onions.  I was surprised how well this dressing paired with the watermelon.  I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the dressing allowed all these ingredients to blend together seamlessly.  This is definitely a salad that I will keep in rotation as long as there is fresh watermelon available.

No comments:

Post a Comment