Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Sweet Potato Pancakes



I need to preface this post by saying that I do not prefer pancakes.  To really emphasize this point, I will have you know I have not made pancakes since I was living at home.  In the Bahamas.  When I was 16.

I will eat pancakes, but usually they're stuffed with chocolate chips.  I like chocolate a lot.

Another thing that I'm not a big fan of is maple syrup, which makes the whole pancake thing sooooo much more difficult.

I sort of stumbled into making these particular pancakes.  I actually wanted to make waffles with leftover sweet potato puree.  However, such an endeavor requires a waffle maker.  That would be one of the items that is absent from my kitchen, so I decided I'd just convert my waffles into pancakes because really, it couldn't be that difficult.  And it wasn't.  The batter ended up making pancakes that smelled and tasted like spices and autumn.  The texture of the pancakes was light and fluffy, which reminded me of cake.  You all know how much I love cake...cupcakes specifically, but I'm not too picky.

I ate these for brunch.  I ate these again for dinner.  And then I ate them in between meals as a snack.  Since I've already mentioned my sort-of-dislike of maple syrup, I decided to drizzle these with honey.

DID YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS?

Who knew and didn't tell me?  Seriously.  Honey is the new maple syrup.  I can't go back.  I am in love with honey on any given day.  But when it's poured on top of sweet and savory pancakes...let's just say that things got real up in this kitchen.


Sweet Potato Pancakes
makes 4 servings

  • 2 egg whites
  • 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/3 tablespoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/3 tablespoons cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup sweet potato puree
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1) Place the egg whites in a small bowl and whisk until stiff peaks are formed.

2) In a medium or large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.


3) Pour in the milk, sweet potato puree, honey, oil, and vanilla.  Stir until the ingredients just come together.

4) Gently fold in the egg whites until just combined.


5) Place a saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium heat.  Use a ladle or ice cream scoop to add batter to the pan.  Spread the batter in the pan to form pancakes in the desired size.

6) Cook the pancake 2 - 3 minutes, or until the bubbles begin popping on top of the pancake and it is golden brown on the bottom.


7) Flip the pancake, using a spatula.  Cook an additional 2 - 3 minutes on the other side until it is also golden brown.

8) Repeat until all the batter is gone.

9) Drizzle warm pancakes with honey (or maple syrup, for the more traditional-minded).


No comments:

Post a Comment