Monday, December 16, 2013

Baked Eggnog French Toast with Cranberries and White Chocolate

 

Let's get Christmas-y up in here.

I've been super busy lately traveling for my job, but this is just too good to keep away from you guys.  Baked eggnog french toast is the new business.  And we add some cranberries and white chocolate to make it festive.  I will definitely keep this breakfast item in the repertoire for the future.  I think I can also tweak this to make it work for various seasons.  Not that this particular recipe isn't completely amazing.  It is.

I got the luck of the draw this month when I received the Cheese Curd in Paradise blog for the Secret Recipe Club.  Ashley has blogged about so many recipes that I want to indulge in, but unfortunately I can only choose one for this post.  That special "one" turned out to be this recipe.  Once I laid eyes on it, my mind was immediately made up.  I made this recipe when my family came to visit me the weekend after Thanksgiving.  It was the perfect indulgent post-Thanksgiving brunch item and we all fell in love with it.  I allegedly had two servings.  Let me tell you that it was worth it.


Baked Eggnog French Toast with Cranberries and White Chocolate
slightly adapted from the Cheese Curds in Paradise blog


  • 6 cups cubed bread (16 oz loaf)
  • 1 pint eggnog
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup rum
  • 2/3 cup cranberries, chopped
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1-14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tablespoon butter

1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease an 8x8 baking dish with butter.

2) Place bread in a large bowl and set aside.

3) Whisk eggnog, syrup, rum, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and ginger in a medium mix bowl.
 

4) Pour over bread and mix. Allow the bread to sit and absorb the liquid for 45 minutes stirring every 5-10 minutes.
 

5) Layer 1/2 the bread mixture into the baking dish.
 

6) Next, layer 1/2 cranberries, 1/2 sweetened condensed milk, and chocolate chips.
 

7) Repeat with remaining ingredients.

8) Bake in the oven for 50 minutes.
 

9) Allow casserole to rest for 15 minutes before serving.  Serve warm.

13 comments:

  1. Goodness, this sounds really good and what a great Holiday SRC choice. This one is going in my database to try toosn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! who could resist this sweet strata? not me, so pass me a second helping please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this recipe! So happy it turned out well for you and your family loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recipe! I made it again this past weekend just to make sure it was still as excellent as I remembered :)

      Delete
  4. Eggnog and cranberry sound like a delightful match!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such a great pair. I'm beginning to think eggnog goes with almost anything.

      Delete
  5. That is a fabulously indulgent breakfast! Sounds like just my sort of thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks perfect for breakfast on Christmas morning! Great SRC recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Egg Nog French Toast for the win!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, I had your blog this month and HOLY SMOKES do I want to make everything on here!!! Next, this french toast casserole looks a.maze.ing. That would be such a treat to wake up to! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley. I saw your post. I love it! I'm rediscovering my love for breakfast food and pastries with this month's SRC reveal.

      Delete