Sunday, December 29, 2013

Stuffed Acorn Squash



Sometimes I just get the urge to make and eat a lot of vegetables.  I have to say that I'm pretty happy about these urges right about now.  Every other day, I seem to find myself eating three- to four-course meals, then inhaling a pile of desserts.  Just to make sure they're good, ya know.  I'm doing some self-appointed quality control testing.

While I love hanging out with the family and trying to figure out how food much I can actually fit into my stomach, it's time to give myself a reality check.  Christmas is over and I really need to reign things in.  It's probably a wise idea to kickstart this healthy eating with stuffed squash.  Only good things can come from roasting acorn squash, and then stuffing it with brown rice, cranberries, and pecans.

In all honesty, this is my first time making a dish using acorn squash and I'm pretty proud of how this turned out.  The recipe is so easy that it would be quite difficult for me to fail at making this.  Since I'm pretty much still nursing a food hangover (4 days later, oof), simplicity is the name of my game.


Stuffed Acorn Squash
very slightly adapted from The Novice Chef
makes 2 servings

Print Recipe

  • 1 acorn squash, halved lengthwise and seeds removed
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter
  • salt & pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 tablespoon butter
  • 1/3 cup onion, diced
  • 1 cup cooked brown rice
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
  • crushed red pepper, to taste
  • salt & pepper, to taste
 
1) Heat the oven to 450 degrees F.
 
2) Place the squash cut-side up on a baking sheet.  Brush the tops and sides of the squash halves with melted butter.  Season with salt and pepper.
 
 
3) Roast the squash in the oven until just fork tender, about 30 to 35 minutes.
 
 
4) Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, melt the 1/2 tablespoon butter over medium heat.
 
5) Sauté the onion until slightly tender, about 3 minutes.
 
 
6) Stir in the remaining ingredients, mixing well and heating everything through. Remove the mixture from the heat.
 
 
7) Divide the rice filling among the roasted squash halves and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment