Monday, February 10, 2014

Garlic Lime Salmon



I feel as if it's been forever since I've made a Secret Recipe Club post!  We took a break for the holidays and now we're back!

Since I've been blissfully working from home for the past few weeks (wait, can we ever be "blissfully working"? .... hmmmm), I've been trying to incorporate more seafood into my diet.  I rarely make seafood because I am not interested in eating frozen seafood.  While I have no objection to cooking salmon that was raw and was then frozen, it's completely another thing to eat salmon that has already been seared, roasted, baked, whatever, and then frozen.  Yuck.

So here we are, with me making salmon for dinner while actually living at home.

This month, I was excited to be assigned Angela's blog for the SRC, which is appropriately named Angela's Kitchen.  Angela's blog is chock full of recipes just waiting to be made.  She is also an expert on gluten- and dairy-free recipes.  From all the recipes I looked at, I decided to make a salmon dish (of course!) but I would also suggest popping over and having a look-see at Angela's site.  There's so much to learn and her information would be especially helpful to those of you living gluten- and dairy-free.


Garlic Lime Salmon
slightly adapted from Angela's Kitchen
serves 2-3

  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel
  • 1/2 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 medium onion, diced
  • 1 (1.5 pound) salmon fillet, cut in half
  • salt & pepper
  • lime slices (optional)

1) In a bowl, whisk together the first 4 ingredients.  Add the onions to the bowl and stir to coat all the onions with the liquid.  Set aside.

2) Place the salmon, skin-side down, on a baking sheet.  Season with salt and pepper.

3) Cover the salmon evenly with 1/4 of the onion mixture.

4) Place under the broiler, about 4-6 inches from the heat.  (Note: If your broiler uses Low/Hi settings, I would recommend using the Low setting.)

5) Broil salmon for ~20 minutes, adding more of the onion/lime mixture to the top of the salmon every 5 minutes.  The fish is down when it flakes easily with a fork.

6) Serve warm, garnished with lime slices if desired.

Let's discuss how easy this was to make.  As in...so. easy!  I whipped this up in no time, and the only thing that took longer than broiling the salmon was dicing the onion.  I definitely recommend this dish as a weeknight meal.  The fish came out tender, while the onions were slightly crispy and the limes gave the whole thing a tangy kick.  I may have eaten too much salmon that day.  This seems to be a theme with me lately.  I should stop that.  I will...right after I enjoy the rest of this salmon.

18 comments:

  1. It looks amazing! I love super easy meals like this one.....now if I could only make it more affordable for a family of 7. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you've got a lot of mouths to feed! I'm sure a cheaper fish would work just as well with this.

      Delete
  2. Looks amazing! I'll need to try this out, it's been awhile since we've had salmon. Great cooking with you this month for the SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great - I love salmon and you cant go wrong with garlic or lime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great flavors--I'll bet the lime makes it taste fresh and light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does! I love even just a squeeze of lemon or lime on my seafood.

      Delete
  5. This looks delicious. I don't make salmon since my husband doesn't care for it, so I'd try it with a different type of fish instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Please let me know which fish you end up using. I think it would be helpful to others as well!

      Delete
  6. I have some salmon in my fridge. They might just get this treatment! Thanks for sharing with the SRC. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yum! Love Salmon. Great choice! Visiting from group D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment and also for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful dish and great flavors for salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, yum. I'm not usually a fish fan, but that makes me want to give it a try! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never been a big fan of salmon but this looks like something I could eat and enjoy!

    Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love salmon. It's always nice to find new ways to prepare it. Nice choice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Deeeelicious, salmon and citrus are a terrific flavor duo. I can't wait to catch our first fish of the season!

    ReplyDelete