Saturday, February 15, 2014

Snickerdoodle Blondies



I'm pretty sure my neighbors think I'm loony.  By "my neighbors", I mean the real estate brokers who work in the building next to mine.  My living room windows just so happen to look directly into two of their office windows.  I also just so happen to take my blog photos on my desk, in front of one of my living room windows. (Gotta have that natural light too!)

I'm sure these folks don't realize what's going on.  All they see is a flash going off every 20 seconds in this apartment.  No big deal really, but sort of weird if you're just minding your own business working at your desk.

This usually doesn't happen very often since I tend to cook or bake on the weekends.  However, recently I've been getting up early to whip up some treats and the brokers are in the office by the time I'm taking pictures around 8am.  "Good morning!" from the crazy lady across the alley.

This crazy lady did something really crazy the other day.  I made brownies without chocolate.  That is insane because I have something you may call a "chocolate obsession".  It's not always out in full force, but it's always there.  I have never, ever in my life, made non-chocolate brownies before.  But since there's a time and place for everything (and since I was out of chocolate chips and didn't want to leave my apartment to brave the polar vortex), I pulled together some cinnamon sugar goodness in blondie form.


Snickerdoodle Blondies
slightly adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
yields 18-24 blondies, depending on size

Print Recipe

  • 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly grease an 8x11-inch baking pan with butter.  Set it aside.

2) In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Set aside as well.


3)  In a large bowl, use a hand mixer (or standing mixer) to beat together the butter and brown sugar on medium speed.  Beat until it becomes light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.


4) Fold the eggs in one at a time, then add the vanilla.

5) Fold in the flour mixture until just combined.   Make sure the flour is completely incorporated into the batter.


6) Pour the dough into the buttered pan, making sure it is spread evenly.


7) In a small bowl, stir together the granulated sugar and cinnamon.


8) Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the top of the batter.


9) Bake the blondies for 35-40 minutes or until the surface of the blondies springs back when gently pressed.  Cool completely before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment