Sunday, March 2, 2014

Caramelized Onion Beer Bread



Alright, one more beer-related recipe because 1) St. Patrick's Day is still on its way, and 2) I just can't help myself.  Can I ever post too many beer recipes?  Nope.

This time, I wanted to make something savory.  I also wanted a new way to incorporate my balsamic caramelized onions into another recipe.  While I love them slathered over meat or piled on top of toasted bread, I decided I wanted to try something new.  Why not put them into a bread instead of on top of it?  Also, add beer.  This is basically how my mind works.  I throw all the things together.

I found a recipe that was pretty close to what I was looking for, and I modified from there.  In the end, I must confess that in addition to easting this warm and slathered with butter, I may have spread a little honey and cinnamon on top of a slice to make it sweet.  No judgements, right?


Caramelized Onion Beer Bread
adapted from Fat Girl Trapped In A Skinny Body
makes 1 loaf

Print Recipe

  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 bottle (12 ounce) Belgian beer (or any other beer you desire)
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • ~1/3 cup balsamic caramelized onions, cooled
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • kosher salt, for sprinkling on top

1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2) Mix all of the ingredients, except the olive oil, in a medium sized bowl until incorporated.

3) Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan.

4) Drizzle the top of the batter with the olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.

5) Bake the bread for 50-60 minutes, or until a fork inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then cool on a wire rack before serving.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment