Saturday, June 23, 2012

Popcorn in a Brown Paper Bag



Did I ever tell you about that time those lovely people at Patron sent me a care package? Yes indeed, they did.  Unfortunately, there was no alcohol involved in this gift.  What the heck, right?  Oh well.  I did receive the following:
  • 2 Tequila Patron champagne glasses (This pretty much elevates me to Baller status.)
  • Tangerine Rimming Sugar
  • Gingerbread cookie mix
  • Gingerbread house cookie cutter set
  • Mulling spices
  • Popcorn kernels
  • Caramel popcorn seasoning
  • Woven wood salad bowl


 Again, I ask you.  What the heck?  I appreciate the gesture.  In fact, I think it's pretty bad-ass awesome that Patron sent me anything at all!  But isn't this assortment sort of ... odd?  It's as if they had a warehouse of random items, placed a few in a box, and shipped it off to me.  Though I must say that I absolutely adore the champagne glasses.  They even have little jingle bells around the stems!  I admit that after I got over the initial "care package high", I placed the items in the pantry and sort of forgot about them.

At least I forgot about them until last week, when I stumbled upon a recipe for making popcorn in a brown paper bag.  Whoa. Stop the presses.  I need to do this.  It's so simple! And I happen to have popcorn kernels at the ready.  Let's go.

I definitely used a Whole Foods brown paper bag for this recipe.  And a Mickey Mouse glove measuring spoon.


Popcorn in a Brown Paper Bag
methodology from Squawkfox
yields 2-3 cups popcorn

Print Recipe
  • 2 tablespoons popcorn kernels
  • 1 brown paper bag
  • salt, to taste

1) Scoop the kernels into the brown paper bag.

2) Fold the bag over twice. (Don't use staples, as you don't want to put metal in a microwave!)

3) Microwave on High for ~3 minutes, or until the popping slows to 1 or 2 pops per second.

4) Toss popcorn with salt and serve.


Since I know you are a creative spirit, you should also feel free to add black pepper and/or cayenne pepper and/or herbs and/or [insert favorite spice or herb here].  I didn't add any butter to my popcorn, but again, you can do so if you swing that way.

As I was listening to a JTB (Joy the Baker, for the uninitiated) podcast a few weeks ago, Joy made a comment about eating popcorn and wine for dinner.  She says that's sometimes just how it's got to be.  You're quite right, Joy.  This popcorn and wine made for an excellent meal for one.


No comments:

Post a Comment