Thursday, January 16, 2014

Cappuccino Cookies with White Chocolate


I had an internal struggle going on for a while and I've decided which side has won.  On one hand, I really wanted to publish some healthy recipes to kick off 2014, because no one really goes into the new year thinking you're going to stuff your face with tons of calories.  We already spent all of December doing that.  And if I'm being completely honest with myself, I also spent the tail end of November doing that as well (hello, Thanksgiving!).

Now, if there's anything I'm good at, it's getting you to break your diet.  I'm not proud of it, but I am that girl who is going to eat what I want and then figure out how much time I have to spend working out to counteract that decision.  OK, I'm only like this 95% of the time, but you get the idea.

I also couldn't live with myself if I wasn't able to post the recipe for this cookies asap!  These cookies could seriously be called life-changing.  I would say that I never want to be without these again but the problem with that desire is that I tend to eat at least three in a row.  Let's be clear that this is not me sitting down with three cookies on a plate eating them.  It's me sitting down with one cookie in hand, then getting up to get another one, and sitting back down.  And let's repeat that one more time because I needed to get a cup of water and the cookies were RIGHT THERE...butreallyIjustwantedanothercookie.

To help me help myself, I gave away about a dozen of these cookies, but somehow, within two days, the other dozen disappeared.  I don't know what happened!


Cappuccino Cookies with White Chocolate
makes 2 dozen cookies


  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons instant espresso or coffee powder
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips or chunks

1) Place racks in the center and upper third of the oven.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.  Set aside.

2) In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and instant espresso powder.
 
3) In a large bowl, use a mixer to beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy, ~3-5 minutes.

4) Add the egg and egg yolk and beat on medium speed until mixture is fluffy, ~1-2 minutes.

5) Beat in the vanilla extract.
 
6) Pour in the dry ingredients, all at once.  Fold the dry ingredients into the butter mixture.

7) Toss in the white chocolate and fold that in as well.  Make sure the batter is well combined.
 
8) Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for ~45 minutes.

9) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

10) Scoop heaping tablespoons of cookie dough onto the parchment paper on the baking pans.  I recommend only placing 6 cookies on each baking sheet, as they spread when baking. You will need to fill each baking sheet twice to use up all the dough.

11) Bake for ~12 minutes, until lightly browned around the edges.  Remove from the oven, allow to cool on the baking sheet for ~10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.  Store cookies in an airtight container.  Cookies will last several days (if you don't eat them all first!).

No comments:

Post a Comment