Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Slow Cooker Chili



I've been trying to incorporate more soups and stews into my regular diet.  It hasn't been working.  I'm slightly disappointed that this is my first real chili of the season, but at least I finally got around to making it!

And....it's here just in time for the Superbowl!  This year, the big game is being held in my backyard.  Sorta.  The Broncos and Seahawks are coming to play at MetLife Stadium this weekend, which is about a 20 minute train ride from me.  This should be awesome.  It's not.  First of all, my team, the Steelers (the best team, really), isn't playing.  However, more importantly, I live right next to the train station which will take people from Hoboken to NYC and also from Hoboken to the stadium.  This town is going to be a drunken mess and I'm going to have a front row seat.  I won't want to leave my apartment for the rest of the week.

Now that I have this chili, I really won't have to.  I can kick back and relax at home with a comforting bowl of food.  I can invite friends over to partake in this, or I can try to escape the crowds and take my chili on the road to a friend's place.  I'm not sure yet what's going to end up happening this Sunday, but I can assure you that I will be taking cover and avoiding all the Superbowl madness outside.  I will be nice and toasty and filled with chili no matter where I am.



Slow Cooker Chili
adapted from AmyBites
makes 4-6 servings

Print Recipe

  • ~1 lb ground beef
  • olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, undrained
  • 1 14.5-ounce can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes with jalapeño peppers and spices, undrained
  • 6 oz. tomato paste
  • cheese, sour cream, and/or oyster crackers for topping (optional)
    .
1) Heat a large saucepan over medium heat.  Drizzle olive oil in the pan.  Add the ground beef and saute until brown and mostly cooked through.
 
2) Add the onion, bell pepper, chili powder, sugar, cumin, salt, and garlic.  Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the onion is tender.


3) Transfer the contents of the pan to a slow cooker.

4) Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, and tomato paste, then stir to combine.


5) Cover the slow cooker and cook on Low for 4 hours.


6) Scoop chili into bowls and serve warm with or without toppings.

Go Broncos! (Can Peyton please please please get another Superbowl ring?!?!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment