Friday, January 3, 2014

Curried Chickpeas with Spinach



Happy New Year!  I hope you all had a safe and festive entrance to 2014.

You all knew I was going to fall victim to the peer pressure, didn't you?  It's time to crank out the healthy recipes for all those folks heading to the gym.  January is the standard month for everyone to descend up any gym within sight.  I am just cringing thinking of signing up for my workouts for the next few weeks.

Oh well, since I'm sure all of the classes I want to take will be full, I'm going to focus on eating better.  Here I am bringing you more vegetables.  I can't seem to stop myself, so I'm just embracing this.

My love of hummus extends from my love of garbanzo beans, which is...interesting, considering that I hate most beans.  The only beans I care to eat are these and edamame.  Everything else can just back it up.  These beans happen to be curried, though.  That is a new phase I'm entering as well.  I love curry.  I think I get that from my momma.  Oh, and there's spinach and tomato sauce.

Wow, I'm sure you're excited to see what I'm going to bring you in 2014!  We're kicking it off with garbanzo beans and I'm talking about spinach and curry...  I'm pretty sure I'm losing followers as I type this.  Yup yup.  I promise I'm going to make it up to you with some decadent goodies soon, but for right now I've thrown together some curry, chickpeas, and spinach juuuuust for you.

By the way, this recipe is super quick, so you can get back to working on your fitness in no time!



Curried Chickpeas with Spinach
from Budget Bytes
makes 4-6 servings

Print Recipe

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 inch fresh ginger, grated finely
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
  • 8 ounces spinach (fresh or frozen)
  • 1-15 ounce can tomato sauce
  • 1-29 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • dash of hot sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste


1) Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.

2) Sauté the onion, garlic, and ginger until the onions have softened, about 3-5 minutes.
 
 
3) Add the curry powder and continue to sauté with the onions for an additional minute.
 

4) Toss in the spinach.  If using fresh spinach, pour about 1/4 cup of water into the skillet as well.  Continue to sauté until the spinach has wilted.  If using frozen spinach, add the spinach to the pan and sauté until it thaws.

5) Pour the chickpeas and the tomato sauce into the pan. Stir well to evenly distribute all the ingredients.  Allow everything to heat through, approximately 5 minutes.

6) Add hot sauce, salt, and pepper to taste. Serve warm with rice or bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment