Saturday, January 25, 2014

Toffee Squares



These bars have no toffee in them.

Yes, I know what they're called, but I didn't name them.  However, I didn't feel the urge to change the name either.  Hear me out.  If you have ever savored the wonder of a Heath candy bar, you would definitely recognize the flavor of these gorgeous desserts.

These dessert bars were the business!  I loved these so much that I eventually had to get them out of my apartment or I would have eaten them all.  One thing to note is that the crust can be a bit crumbly.  That didn't bother me one bit.  In fact, I took one for the team and "disposed" of any broken bars so that no one else had to worry about them.

In the end, I packed up the majority of the bars (the unbroken ones) and took them over to a friend's place so I could salvage my dignity.  Or at least attempt to.



Toffee Squares
from Eat, Live, Run

Print Recipe

  • 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Butter a 10" x 13″ pan well and set aside.

2) Cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.


3) Add the egg yolk and vanilla and mix well.


4) In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.

5) Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and blend until a soft dough forms.


6) Press down into your prepared pan and prick the dough all over with a fork.


7) Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely.


8) Once the cookie base has cooled, melt the chocolate chips either in a double boiler or a microwave-safe bowl, stirring in 30 second increments until completely melted and smooth.


9) Spread chocolate over the cookie base, and then scatter the nuts on top.  Place in fridge for 1 hour or until chocolate has set, then cut into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment