Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Sweet Potato & Onion Quiche

 
I've been working from home for a few weeks now and I'm trying to figure out a few things, such as 1) exactly how does one grocery shop for an entire week at a time?, 2) How does one plan out meals for oneself for more than 2-3 days in a row?, and 3) How does one organize the refrigerator so that I can use up all this fresh food I seem to be purchasing?

As you can see, I have questions.  I think this quiche is the answer.  OK, it's not really going to answer any of the questions I have above, but while I am (still) pondering these questions, I can make this quiche and eat it too.

I really felt the need to rekindle my love affair with the quiche.  Recently, my attention has been diverted by pumpkin-flavored things and unnecessarily sweet desserts, aka "the Holidays".  Clearly, I need to refocus.  Quiches are the perfect easy meal: breakfast, lunch, or dinner.  I also eat it quite often as a snack.  Love doesn't discriminate.


Sweet Potato & Onion Quiche
adapted from Kitchen Concoctions
  • 1 package store bought pie crust
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 small or medium sweet potato, grated
  • 1 small or medium onion, sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1-2 teaspoons dried thyme
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 cup Greek yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
  • 1/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese

Blind bake the pie crust:

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

2) Use a fork to prick the bottom and sides of the pie crust.


3) Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes.

4) Remove from the oven and cool for a few minutes.  If the pie crust bubbled up slightly, just press it down gently.


Assemble the quiche:

1) Decrease the oven temperature to 375 degrees F.

2) Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes and leeks and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.  You may need to cook it for more time, depending on how thinly or thickly you slice and grate your onion and sweet potato.  The vegetables should be mostly cooked through.

3) Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat and set aside.


4) In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt and milk.

5) Stir in cooked vegetables, herbs, seasonings, and cheese. Pour quiche filling into the pie crust.





6) Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown in color and the filling is set.


7) Quiche can be served either warm, at room temperature, or cold.



No comments:

Post a Comment