Sunday, January 12, 2014

Roasted Carrots with Thyme


I will advise you that I do have more decadent desserts coming up in the next few posts.  I just can't help myself.  I love to bake after the holidays.  You know, that time when everyone is totally done with sweets and treats?  Yep, that's when I'm hitting my stride.  Whatever.  More for me!

But right now, I'm back on the healthy bandwagon once again.  I couldn't resist once I spotted purple and white carrots in the Union Square Greenmarket.  I was with my mom and nephew and the three of us were immediately intrigued.  Two minutes later, 2 lbs of carrots were purchased.  And I had no idea what I was going to do with them.

I soon decided to roast the vegetables with herbs and seasonings since roasting veggies is the easiest, yet tastiest thing ever.  It doesn't necessarily leave you with pretty-looking vegetables, but the taste will make up for that.  In the future, I would probably sprinkle a little sugar on top of the carrots as well since I like my carrots sort of sweet, but I loved the outcome based on the recipe below all the same!


Roasted Carrots with Thyme

Print Recipe

  • ~2lbs carrots, washed, and peeled (if outer layer is tough)
  • olive oil
  • freshly cracked black pepper
  • kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme

1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

2) Wash the carrots thoroughly.  Peel the carrots if the outer layer is tough.


3) Cut the carrots into similarly sized pieces, ideally about 2-3 inches long.


4) Drizzle the olive oil over the carrots, then sprinkle on the salt, pepper, and thyme.  Toss the carrots in the oil with the herbs and spices.


5) Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until they are fork tender.


6) Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment