Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Coffee Pancakes



I used to drag myself out of bed with the promise of a cup (or two) of coffee.  It worked every time.  Lately, though, I've been waking up voluntarily at 7:30am just to get a jump start on the day.  This is insane!  Am I becoming a morning person?  I don't even know me anymore.


When I came across this recipe for coffee pancakes on Pinterest, I knew it was something that I would need to make.  As you can see, I already have an excellent relationship with coffee.  Now that it seems I have some extra time in the mornings, I can even whip up some pancakes!

These pancakes were so easy to make and so tasty.  The coffee flavor definitely shines in these.  Of course, I did use instant espresso granules instead of the instant coffee granules which were recommended in the original recipe, but that's just me.  Go big or go home!  OK, you're probably already home if you're making these.  Oof.  Never mind.  Too much coffee.  Just make these!


Coffee Pancakes
very slightly adapted from EatLiveRun
makes ~8 pancakes


  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk, well shaken
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tablespoons instant espresso granules
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled
  • butter, maple syrup, honey, and/or powdered sugar for serving (optional)

1)  In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

2) In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg, instant espresso granules and melted butter.  Beat together until well combined and the espresso granules have dissolved.

3) Mix the wet ingredients together with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.  Note that the batter will still be lumpy.

4) Heat up your skillet and spray with nonstick spray or a little bit of vegetable oil.  Use a 1/4 cup measure to scoop the batter into the hot skillet.

5) Cook for 2-3 minutes per side. Serve warm, with desired toppings.

1 comment: